1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I disable shared memory?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DiGiTY, Apr 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DiGiTY

DiGiTY Thread Starter

There's 4 GB of RAM installed, 2.75 GB is usable, I have a Intel X4500 built into mobo, but I just installed a PCI-E x16 graphics card with its own dedicated memory (1024 MB/1 GB), yet Shared System Memory in Display Properties says 1151 MB (total 2175 MB). I'm assuming the X4500 is still taking that 1151 MB from system memory (event though its not in use) or the system is now allocating what it gave to the X4500 to the new card (which it doesn't need).

Any ideas how to turn off shared memory? The new graphics card doesn't need to use shared memory and I want the system to have as much of the 4 GB as possible.

TIA

P.S. - mobo = Gigiabyte GA-G41M-ES2L (rev. 1.1), new graphics card = ASUS ENGT220/DI/1GD2(LP) GeForce GT 220 1GB 128-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    There should be an option in the BIOS to disable the integrated video and/or set the PCI-e/PEG graphics as the default/primary.

If you have 32 bit version of Windows then thats why you are seeing less then 4GB's of RAM, in a 32bit system you generally are limited to about 3,25Gb of usable RAM, sometimes less.

Also the shared memory you are seeing under display properties is controlled by the Desktop Windows Manager and is dynamically allocated by the system only if needed, it is not permanently assigned and taken away from the system unless needed by an application. It cannot be changed nor does i need to be changed as it has no negative impact on the system or the amount of usable RAM for the system.

3. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Shared System Memory in Display Properties isn't memory being used by the graphics card, it is the amount of shared memory available to any devices that need it. If System Video Memory (the line above it) shows 0 MB, your graphics card isn't using any system memory.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918848

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice