1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I disable the disconnect after idle for 45 minutes on MSN 8?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by viperx07, Sep 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. viperx07

viperx07 Thread Starter

I kno you can do it cause I did it before and never got disconnected, now i reformatted my computer and get disconnected after 45 minutes when playing games or downloading. I am using 56k.

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

3. viperx07

viperx07 Thread Starter

msn 8 doesnt have options in view menu.

4. viperx07

viperx07 Thread Starter

bump..maybe install 6.0 first and then 8?

5. ~Candy~

Let me boot up with my other hard drive and see what version I have.....I don't think I upgraded to 8, but just cancelled the service, so I don't think I would be able to see that option anymore, and I doubt if I have a version 8 install cd laying around here.......

6. ~Candy~

I don't know what version I have and there appears no easy way to check it unless you are connected, I guess....*sigh*

In IE, under tools, internet options, connections, settings, advanced, do you have anything that looks like it's set to disconnect?

7. viperx07

viperx07 Thread Starter

ttere is no advanced part. There is only advanced for proxy.

Even if you dont solve the problem, thanks for the help ^^

8. bozz

bozz

An alternative would be is that if your using an email program, such as Outlook, or any other, you can set it to check for new email...say every 20 minutes. It may be your ISP timing you out. Using this method will send an activity across the net and keep your connection active as though you were actually surfing or whatever.

9. viperx07

viperx07 Thread Starter

well, it disconnects if you dont use msn evry 45 minutes, not use the net. I dont even sign in, just connect. But then it disconnects me. IF i sign in, i get lag in a game.

10. bozz

bozz

11. viperx07

viperx07 Thread Starter

yo bozz, i talked to MSN tech support and they also said to use Outlook Express. Ill respond when i test if it works or not.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165532

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice