1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved How do I dissociate a device with an application

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by PCBuilder, Jul 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PCBuilder

PCBuilder Thread Starter

First Name:
    Richard
    I mistakenly chose "Phone Companion" when connecting my Samsung S275 mobile phone to my Win 10 PC. Now, whenever I connect the 2, Phone Companion starts up instead of Samsung's PC Studio.
    How can I dissociate "Phone Companion" from the USB device?
    I can see the phone driver in my device driver list and have tried uninstalling it, but the same thing happens when I connect.

Here's my sysinfo:
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 16288 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 210, 512 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 453317 MB, Free - 285691 MB; E: Total - 499999 MB, Free - 492157 MB; F: Total - 200004 MB, Free - 196499 MB; P: Total - 156916 MB, Free - 140336 MB; T: Total - 100006 MB, Free - 99847 MB; U: Total - 20002 MB, Free - 19890 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., Maximus IV GENE-Z
    Antivirus: Norton Internet Security, Updated and Enabled

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    This might do it - right-click Start > Control Panel > Default Programs (change the view to small icons if you can't see it) > Associate...
    When the list appears look for the file type associated with Phone companion (click Description at top to order program names alphabetically) click it and then click the Change Program button and set it to use PC Studio instead.

I wrote this from Windows 7, 10 should be similar.

3. PCBuilder

PCBuilder Thread Starter

First Name:
    Richard
    In the "Set Associations" list, I do not see "Phone Companion" in any of the columns. Can you think of another way it may be associated?

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    There may be settings within the 2 programs to set which files they associate with. Otherwise you could try uninstalling Phone Companion then reboot and see if that makes any difference.

5. PCBuilder

PCBuilder Thread Starter

First Name:
    Richard
    Thanks for your help Allan. I could not find any setting to associate the camera with so I uninstalled Phone Companion and rebooted. Viola - it worked!
    However, my Samsung New PC Studio app will not recognize my phone on Windows 10. It works OK on Win 7. I'll follow up with Samsung.
    Thanks again!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1175243

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice