1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do i do a fresh install of windows 7?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Blakebn2011, Oct 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Blakebn2011

Blakebn2011 Thread Starter

A couple months ago i bought my computer, it came with no windows 7 discs. How would i go about putting a fresh install of windows 7 on it?

Thanks

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

You should have a place in the Start Menu where it allows you to create recovery disks. The instructions should have explained all that.

You probably have a "recovery partition" on your hard drive, too.

Make and model of machine?

Why do you need to reinstall so soon?

In the future, it would be a good idea to back up your whole system when it was set up and working the way you want it. Your hard drive will fail, and you could then get everything back.

3. Blakebn2011

HP Pavilion dv6-1128tx

Computer is almost completely unusable at the moment, Using an old desktop of mine to write this. I received a trojan/virus or something similar the second day i got it (I hadn't put protection on it yet..). The malicious object that was on my computer spread itself (expanding to take up my whole harddrive). I didn't get a chance to make recovery discs, surely there is some other way of putting a fresh install of windows 7 on it, as there no recovery point set :S

Thanks for responding

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Make your disks when you can (HP Backup & Recovery Manager). Make a full system backup with a commercial product like Paragon Drive Backup or Acronis (free ones listed below). It will end up saving you a lot of time and money. And anxiety.

Try tapping F11 right after the HP logo comes up at boot time to see if the recovery partition will boot. (Remember that this won't work when the hard drive fails, so even with a new drive, you won't be able to recover this way.)

Free drive backup software (imaging, cloning, and archiving):

Paragon Backup & Recovery
    Macrium Reflect (Free)
    O&O Disk Image Express
    Easeus Todo Backup
    Redo Backup & Recovery (Boot CD)
    Comodo Time Machine (Complete system, files, programs, and settings restoration, but not "bare-metal" for failed drive)
    Clonezilla Live (A bootable CD of Debian with Clonezilla.)
    Drive Image XML
    PING (Partimage is not Ghost) (Boot CD with option Clam Antivirus)
    Partition Saving
    Clonezilla

There are also many commercial products with more features.

5. Blakebn2011

Ah thanks for the reply, but i want to do a fresh install.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

You don't have disks. Press F11 on boot.

7. Blakebn2011

Ok, for the past 30 minutes i tried doing what you said. The problem is that theres no restore point on the actual recovery partition it is completely empty of data.
    I'm unsure what to do, basically i just bought a 1.8 grand lump of metal :mad:

8. Hughv

Hughv

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

If you made any changes at all to your partitions, or used a regular disk and not one from the manufacturer, then you probably destroyed access to the recovery partition. A restore point, even if available, probably would not help much if the machine is in really bad shape.

Buying Windows on recovery disks may be your only option, though there may be other ways to boot to recovery if you find that there is anything there.

How do you know that the partition is empty?

10. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Here is the support site for the HP Pavilion dv6-1128tx laptop.

According to its product specifications section, it came with Windows Vista Home Premium SP1(32-bit) pre-installed.

The recovery disc kit doesn't appear to be available for purchase.

Is the product number on the sticker NW971PA#ABG or is it a different number?

-------------------------------------------------------

11. Blakebn2011

[​IMG]

Hmm.. Your looking up the wrong pc.

12. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    If all else fails and you cant find or get recovery disks for your computer then the only option you have left is to buy a retail copy or borrow an hp oem copy of whatever version of windows 7 that came with the computer and go from there.Once you get up and running there is a lot of good free antivirus programs out there that you can choose from.

13. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

flavallee looked up the information on HP's site for the specific model number you provided. The specifications listed on HP's site do not match the screen shot you posted. The site's specs say it has an Intel Core 2 Duo processing, but your screen shot shows an AMD processor.

Where did you buy the computer? And where did you find the model number you provided?

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024609

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice