How do I do this

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

playme123

I have just installed a slave hard drive, have downloaded acronis true image free trail.
Basically what I want to do is to copy the os of the main drive and put this copy onto the slave drive as back up in case the main hard drive fails
how do I do it:eek:

Ciberblade

Retired Moderator
I'm not sure copying to the slave drive is your best option as it removes the amount of available space on your extra HD. I would make an image of your system that could be stored on CD/DVD or on a shared system. Then, if there was a failure, you could apply the image.
:cool:

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I always use images, not clone copies. Images restore to the same exact disk contents and they're much smaller than making a clone partition.

playme123

how do you do that though, have never backed up in me life and need to start doing it:eek:

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
The first thing to do is Click on "Create Bootable Rescue Media"
And make a Bootable Acronis CD.
Check Back when you've done this.

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Next .. Create a Folder in you Slave Named “Acronis”

The object now is to make an Acronis “Backup” of your C: drive ..
and place the backup in you Slave/Acronis folder.

When asked …
Place the Acronis backup image as a file named 07.07.07.tib in the (slave) Acronis folder

It should look like this … (slave) Acronis/07.07.07.tib

Click on Backup to get started ....

Attachments

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
To backup your operating system and all ... back up the C: drive.

Then, you'll be able to restore your entire computer from the backup Image .. the tib file.

Attachments

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
That sounds kinda long ...
How many gig (occupied) is your C: Drive.
Hope you have space on the slave.

My C: drives are the OS and installed programs only ... My Data is in another partition.
Only takes me about 5 minutes to backup, or recover, my OS C: drive ... somewhere around 15 gig occupied.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts