1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

how do i domain to home server

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by anothertechguy, Jun 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. anothertechguy

anothertechguy Thread Starter

I recently purchased a domain and would like to set up my home server to be where it points to how do i accomplish this? thanks in advance...greg

2. jbcalg

jbcalg

a little confused by your question ;)

if you have a website hosting package with an ISP, then you can have them 'point' the domain name to their part of the server where your website is stored

depending on the ISP, you may be able to do this yourself through their admin or management options
    - but you need to know the IP of their DNS (domain name servers)

give your ISP a call and ask them how they do it
    ======================================
    if that wasn't your question, please post back - ypu may be talking about running your own webserver, but you still need the correct IP set so that other computers know how to find you

3. anothertechguy

anothertechguy Thread Starter

yes i have my own web server and static ips but when i leased the domain i was going to use the service i leased it through as a web hosting service but have decided to use my own web server..how do i make the change over? my domain is : www.independantmusic.com
    thanks in advance greg

4. p5mmx10g

p5mmx10g

go to the website where you registered your domain, log in, try to look for dns or ip conifg, you need to point your domain name to your staic ip, abc.com point to xxx.xxx.xxx

and you have to have the web server up and running, or else your computer won't accept incoming request.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/84147

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice