1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

how do i download and install the correct drivers?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bigstick, Mar 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bigstick

bigstick Thread Starter

ok i have a acer aspire 7720-6155 notebook that originally had vista home premium factory installed on it and it came with no oem disk or battery

long story short vista died of the plague so i installed xp pro sp3 and updates but not specific ones

some of my hardware is not working...that hardware would be built in webcam, soundcard no sound no headphone sound and built in wireless is not working.

right now i got it running my wireless usb adapter, it says it is wireless connection 3

I don't know what drivers to download from acer or if they will work on xp

iv never had xp on a computer that didn't have it pre-installed so im in a learning curve right now

2. Paynesmanor

Paynesmanor

First what is the manufacture of the laptop? if its hp then go to hp, and find the XP drivers for it.

3. stevecook

stevecook

4. Paynesmanor

Paynesmanor

Depending on the manufacture the BIOS may have been altered, If so the drivers from the board maker wont work right.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    bigstick:

One of the problems with buying a new computer that has Vista or 7 pre-installed is the lack of XP drivers for some or all of its devices.

Many users find that out after making the downgrade to XP and then discovering that some or all of the devices don't work and that there isn't XP drivers available.

That's why it's important to confirm that XP drivers are available and to obtain those drivers before you make the downgrade.

------------------------------------------------------

If you use the link that stevecook provided you with, then navigate to:

Notebook

Aspire

Aspire 7720

Microsoft Windows XP Professional x32

the XP drivers that you need will fortunately be there.

These are the primarily drivers that you should download and save and then burn off to a CD-R:

Intel chipset - motherboard chipset

Realtek audio - sound controller

Broadcom LAN - wired adapter

Atheros / Broadcom / Intel LAN - wireless adapter

ATI / Intel / NVIDIA VGA - display adapter

but you can download and save and burn off the entire list of drivers if you want to.

Install the Intel chipset driver first, then restart the computer.

After that's done, go into the Device Manager and detemine which devices need to have a driver.

If the display adapter and/or wireless adapter need to have a driver installed, it needs to be determined first which of the 3 model devices it has so the correct driver can be installed.

------------------------------------------------------

6. stevecook

stevecook

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/983647

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice