1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I download compatible sound drivers for Windows XP?

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by sashag, Jul 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sashag

sashag Thread Starter

Hi!

I downgraded the Windows OS from Vista to XP for my friend since the Vista was too hard for him to figure out. However, after downgrading the
    OS, I also 'lost' the sound drivers. I tried to download the Realtek AC'97
    sound drivers, but got the message that Realtek's drivers were not compliant with Microsoft's 'vendor' policies, so I wasn't able to complete
    the download. Anyway, now I need to download another sound driver that is compliant with Microsoft's vendor policies. Does anyone know of such drivers? I'm meeting my friend again on Thursday of this week, and I'd like to have the computer working for him by then. Thanks!

2. pedroguy

pedroguy

Hi:Welcome to TSG:
    Generally,it is best to download drivers from the pc makers web site.You would be looking for the xp version of drivers compatible with your sound device hardware,if available.

3. sashag

sashag Thread Starter

Hi!

Thanks for the reply! I had already gone to the HP site and found out that the sound drivers were not supported by HP. However, they said that I could go to the Realtek site and download the Realtek AC'97 sound drivers. Then after trying to download the AC'97 sound drivers, I got a popup message that said that Microsoft didn't support the AC'97 sound drivers because of 'vendor' issues. I feel that I'm getting the runaround
    from both HP and then Microsoft. I never had a problem with downloading
    the Realtek AC'97 sound drivers until I downgraded the OS from Vista to
    XP for my friend. Can anyone help? Thanks!

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

It may be that there just are not any drivers available. If the machine was designed for Vista, then XP drivers were never made. There may not be XP drivers for many things on that machine.

What is the exact make and model of the sound chip? There are many "AC'97" sound sets and not all are RealTek.

Despite the popup, do the drivers install?

Since Vista can be made to look and act like XP, downgrading to an OS that is approaching 10-years-old is probably not the best idea. There will be some problems with support of new hardware, too.

5. sashag

sashag Thread Starter

Hi!

Thanks for the help! The model of my friend's HP laptop is as follows...
    G60-304CA

The 'chipset' of the computer is...
    nVidia GeForce 8200 M

As far as having Vista backup disks, my friend didn't get them since they didn't come with the new laptop, and the store wanted a hundred bucks for the disks. In hind sight of course, I should have recommended
    that my friend get the disks, as I was the one that helped pick out the
    laptop for him and his wife. Had I known that it was going to be such a pain to 'downgrade' the OS from Vista to XP, I wouldn't have even done it.

Anyway, I really need to somehow find out how to get the sound drivers for this laptop, as I'm getting together with my friend and his wife this coming Thursday, and I need to have the sound installed. So far, all I get is the very loud and annoying BIOS beep whenever I do something that the laptop doesn't like. Without the sound drivers, I can't turn off that sound. I went into the BIOS a few minutes ago, and
    because it was a Phoenix BIOS, there was nowhere for me to turn off the sound for the motherboard.

So, I need to find the right sound driver for the model of the laptop and also, if you know how, to disable the beeping sound in the BIOS if possible. Thanks again for all of your help!

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

I mean what is the sound chipset?

PCWizard[​IMG]

7. sashag

sashag Thread Starter

The sound chipset I can't find. After running the PC Wizard, I clicked on the sound icon, and I saw that it said that the 'audio' part was nVidia Corp. Is there anywhere else I can find this info using the wizard? Thanks.

8. sashag

sashag Thread Starter

Hi

I saw that you mentioned that there were 'many' AC'07 chipsets that were NOT Realtek. Will one of them work for me seeing as the 'real' Realtek chipset is not adaptable to my friend's laptop? Thanks.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!