1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

how do i dump the hard drive?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by maxirage, Feb 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. maxirage

maxirage Thread Starter

what do i need to do to dump it ? It is virally infected (as far as i know, only 1). or do i reinstall windows?:confused:

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    How have you determined it is infected by a virus? What Anti-Virus software are you using? If there isw only one partition on the hard drive then reinstalling Windows will reformat the hard drive. If this is a second hard drive or the hard drive is partitioned into more than drive then you would have to have the windows installation delete all the partitions on the drive duriong the formatting partitioning stage of installation to be sure you have wiped the hard drive clean. Now if you are sure it is a virus and your Anti-Virus software cannot clean it, you would not want to back up any data or files as the virus may or will probably be backed up also and reinstalling the data or files on a clean installation of windows will just reinfect the computer again.

3. maxirage

maxirage Thread Starter

pc-cillin stated it was attacked by a virus and could not quarantine it. since then, i lost all my fav aol sites (i reinstalled it to no avail and did all they suggested). sometimes when i shut down i get a insert windows disk which was not there before. that is just a nuisannce.

4. maxirage

maxirage Thread Starter

and when i run pc cillin, there is no recognition of a virus.so i don't know.

5. COCOCOOKIETECH

COCOCOOKIETECH

Hi! Try booting in Safe Mode (when you turn off the PC, press F8 or F5 and from the list of Boot Options choose Safe Mode) and do a Full Scan. It's gonna take longer than usual but if everything goes well, your anti-virus should be able to detect the virus and delete it. If your anti-virus detect it but can't delete it, write down the name and location of the file were the virus resides and go and delete it manually. If your anti-virus won't detect it in the first scan, turn off the computer, wait a few seconds and try again. One more thing, don't trust PC Cilin, you should download Avast anti-virus. It's still free (it takes a registration form only) and you can try to scan the PC in Safe Mode with Avast...it will take long but it is a very good software (www.avast.com) By the way, what kind of virus was it? Post back if you have any questions? Ciao!

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It somewhat depends on what you want to do.

If you want to try and salvage your install, apps, etc, you could try posting a hijack this log in the security forum. They can help you try and remove the virus / spyware / malware.

If you just want to clean install windows, then boot with your xp or win2k cd and delete all partitions on the disk. Create one or more and format with ntfs; you are good to go.

Note the above will destroy ALL data on the drive so make sure you backup anything important before you begin this task.

7. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I agree with Both of the posts above. Avast has served me well and for home users it is free. Avast also hs a 64bit version that is free as well, or at least it was the last time I checked it. Sometimes a clean install of windows is the best way to go. But there are people here who know how do to magic it seems, and they are good!

8. maxirage

maxirage Thread Starter

this thread is directly related to ngen.exe

9. maxirage

maxirage Thread Starter

I am having a tough time reinstalling my windows. On the 22 of Jan, i was hit with a virus and did many things to find it and get rid of it. It was suggested that for me to wipe out the hard drive, i need to delete all partitions....however, i have been unable to even find where the partitions segment is on the resinstallion of windows xp . bigger question or point is that I could not delete and then reinstall windows xp. While reinstalling it, I received " Ngen.exe
    procedure entry point GetRequestedRuntimeVersion not in dynamic link library mscorre.dll.
    this does not look good.
    I turned on the computer, threw the start up disk in and proceeded. i did not wipe out of the hard drive and the reinstall was flawed.
    i know i am doing something wrong here.

10. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
  11. Leec65

Leec65

max at this point what do you want to do, still try to fix it or clean the hard drive and reinstall

12. CouchMaster

CouchMaster

Native Image Generator (Ngen.exe) is not a virus.
    I use it to make Windows Lite disks.
    Something else is going on - I suggest reinstalling the OS.

13. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    This is what I was going to get at. It is possible that Ngen.exe could be corrupted but it in itself is not a virus.

14. maxirage

maxirage Thread Starter

I did a restore to original setup, which i am led to believe wiped out everything. I did have to resintstall several programs. and i was able to set up high speed (there was much rejoicing :D )
    So i thank everyone for their help and appreciate their expertise.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540790

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice