Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How do I eliminate this "Force Shutdown" screen?

4K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Elvandil 
#1 ·
Running Windows 7 Ultimate on Sony Vaio laptop

I have my laptops configured to shut down when I press the power button. Problem is it stops at a screen telling me that some programs are running and I have to click to "Force Shutdown" on these programs before it shuts down. Otherwise it just sits there like a jackass until the battery runs down--or forever if it is on AC power.

Is there a way to force this computer to shut down when the power button is pressed--without further user participation.

#2 ·
I guess I assumed that the screen was kind of a placeholder and that it always disappeared after a while. But your "until the battery runs down" seems to indicate otherwise. That could be a real problem rather than just an annoyance in some situations.

Until I research it further, the best I can offer is:

shutdown /f /s /t 0

(I've attached a vbs that will implement this command.)

You could also experiment with

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control|WaitToKillServiceTimeout

Attachments

#5 ·
which programs is it telling you are held open
until you find out why those programs are open, you won't get a clean shut down

Win 7 (and most other OS) doesn't like shutting down by pressing power button, especially on a laptop
try shut down from start menu instead

I would guess that it is a Sony specific driver ( probably power management) that isn't being unloaded when you try a hard shutdown instead of a software shutdown

#9 ·
which programs is it telling you are held open
Usually Firefox or IE8 or both; but it happens with Eudora and MS Word as well, whatever is open.
Win 7 (and most other OS) doesn't like shutting down by pressing power button
Then why does Vista and Win7 have that option built into the OS under the section on Control Panel where they offer for you to define what the buttons do?
What happens when you go to Start and select the Shutdown button?
Same thing.
Why not just put it to sleep?
Because I'm lazy. And because I want that pushie-power-button-thingy to work so I can continue to be lazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.