1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I find a cheaper ISP?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by axeman61, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. axeman61

axeman61 Thread Starter

I'm on SBC Yahoo DSL, and my mom pays the phone bills. We're At the end of a contract after a few years, and the current plan has gone through reduction from 50 to around 30 bucks a month. The contract ends in 10 days.
    After the contract expires, I could rejoin under a 1 year contract of 19.99 per month (w/ extra fees I guess), or a no contract agreement of 39.99 a month (again, with extras). I don't want another contract, really. She doesn't want the 40 bucks a month either. Are there other ISPs out there which are cheaper?
    If so, will other fees (modem and whatnot) offset the benefit?
    And if for whatever reason, you want to wonder why my mom's paying the bills, I just turned 18 and don't have a new job yet.

2. Sponsor

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I don't think that you'll find a much better deal than $19.95/mo for broadband. If the service has been good, I'd renew for another year.

4. axeman61

axeman61 Thread Starter

Talked it over, and it's all good for $20.

I'll call tomorrow, in case I heard them wrong.

5. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Chuck
    Not sure what plan you are on now but you may be able to get a faster speed for a tiny bit less money for another year. I had the 1.5 Mb package from SBC/Ameritech with a discounted rate that was going to expire at the end of June.

I received an e-mail in early May from AT&T (took over SBC) that included this invitation:

I took them up in their offer and now have the 3.0 Mb Pro package. I am not saying they will give you the same offer but it may be worth a shot to check out the link. I am also betting that they will again offer some type of deal next year to keep me commuted to another year.

6. jdl

jdl

Be aware of where you are located with reference to the telephone switching station or "hub." I had regular DSL with AT&T Yahoo and upgraded to "Pro." I soon found that there was no difference in speed since I was getting the low end of the "Pro" signal which was the same as I had been getting from the regular DSL. They switched me back at no cost and no additional contract time.

7. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Chuck
    jdl, I was concerned about how much of speed increase I would see if I switched to the Pro package. Since I had nearly two months to deicde, I did some checking.

There are some SBC Direct forums on http://www.dslreports.com where members can post questions and problems with their SBC DSL service directly to SBC (Now AT&T) technicians. In my case, I submitted a non-trouble report requesting line stats. A couple of days later I got a report showing my line was tested good to 8128 kbits/sec. I signed up for the 1.5 to 3.0 upgrade that evening.

8. jdl

jdl

I wish I could get that kind of speed...I'm too far from the station. Next time I may consider Comcast Cable but I really haven't looked too seriously at it so far. There's still some time on my contract with AT&T.

I'm glad you could do better. For the rest of the souls out there, better check before switching.

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I am pretty sick of Comcast's slow speeds around here. :D

Attached Files:

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/469148