1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved how do I find and remove all empty folders?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Dallas76, Aug 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dallas76

Dallas76 Thread Starter

Hello, Thank you for taking the time to review my issue.
    I am organizing all my photos and they are on an external HD. I am using Picasa to tag them & reorganize into folders. What happens is I end up with heaps of empty folders. I have googled the issue & I've hit a obstacle. I use "Remove Empty Directories" and it is finding & deleting many empty folders. Doing exactly what I want it to do. But there are a vast number that it just wont see. I used other similar programs and same problem. So many empty folders that they miss but I can see them right there in front of me. It would take forever to delete them manually.
    I used search bar in windows explorer to search for empty folders and it can't find them. These empty folders are in plain sight. What is it about them that makes them invisible to software detection. How do I deal with them?
    Thank you for your help.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD A12-9720P RADEON R7, 12 COMPUTE CORES 4C+8G, AMD64 Family 21 Model 101 Stepping 1
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 15829 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon(TM) RX540, -2048 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 930 GB (315 GB Free); E: 1863 GB (363 GB Free); H: 1863 GB (1260 GB Free);
    Motherboard: BR, Wartortle_BS
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

2. Chawbacon

Chawbacon

First Name:
    Jack
    Hello Dallas,

If you can see the folders in File Explorer then they should show up on a search. Could the files be hidden? If yes, you can show them by using the "View Tab" - "Options" - "View Tab" - "Show hidden files, folders, and drives".

This is my procedure to find and delete empty folders within Windows 10.

1. Open Windows File Explorer.
    2. Navigate to my targeted drive area. Have to be careful to not delete other required folders.
    3. Enter "kind:=folder" as my search criteria.
    4. Click on the "View Tab"
    5. Select "Sort By"
    6. Select "Size"

The empty folders show up at the bottom of the list and I delete them using normal windows range selection.

I hope this helps!

Dallas76 likes this.
  3. Dallas76

Dallas76 Thread Starter

Hello Chawbacon, thank you for your prompt reply. I tried your method. The search criteria equation, would that be called a query? Anyhow I appreciate the guidance. Up to that point I got a result, but when I try steps 4-6 the size order seems quite random. I made some empty folders to see where they end up. In the middle somewhere. and other empty folders didn't filter to top or bottom of list. Nothing seems straight forward & I've spent some considerable amount of time trying to figure this out. Folders are not hidden by the way. Do you have any more suggestions. I've seen some things people do with command prompt, but I have no experience with that. Computers waste so much time on what should be simple tasks & now I've got to become a computer scientist just to do a basic function.

4. Chawbacon

Chawbacon

First Name:
    Jack
    Hello again Dallas,

So I did some testing on my system and I was able to reproduce the same issue. I dug deeper and noted that there were thousands of unspecified folders that did not display a file size. It looks like MS does this by design in order to legitimately reduce overhead processing requirements. I did some searching online and found a program called "TreeSize Free." The program that I downloaded passed my AV scan and is not doing anything unusual (so far) while running in a sandbox environment... Still Monitoring. The pro that I am seeing is an option (if selected) to integrate into the Windows File Explorer and shows as an option when right clicking on the target directory. The program easily found/showed all folder sizes in the targeted directory and I was able to sort by size and delete accordingly.

Disclaimer: Please understand that I cannot personally vouch for the software, company, etc... of the TreeSize Free sofware; as such, you will have to make your own determination on whether to install the software. Additionally, make sure that you personally virus scan any downloaded software before installation.

5. Dallas76

Dallas76 Thread Starter

Hello Chawbacon, I tried "TreeSize Free" & it did exactly what I wanted. Thank you so much. It was awfully simple once I knew how but simply awful when I didn't. I struggled for a long time but you fixed the problem in short time. I appreciate that beyond measure. I will consider this issue resolved. Thanks again & all the best.

6. Chawbacon

Chawbacon

First Name:
    Jack
    Thanks Dallas. I am glad to hear that you needs have been met on this opportunity.

BTW - I have to give a full disclosure here... Your username indicates that you are possibly a Dallas fan... if true, just know that you were assisted by one of the biggest E-A-G-L-E-S fans on the planet. ;)

Best of Luck!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1215228

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice