1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do i find my programs on my second harddrive?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by IMightJustBeYourSister, Nov 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. IMightJustBeYourSister

IMightJustBeYourSister Thread Starter

So, i installed two drives. a ssd, and a hdd.
    I was in the market to build a new computer. however i wanted to keep all programs and content from my old computer. so i bought a 2tb wd black drive for storage. and i was told to get an ssd to install windows on as it would be optimal, (including programs i commonly use such as photoshop or sony vegas)
    whilst i use the hdd for mass storage.
    So i cloned the contents from my old computers hard drive to my current hdd that was going to be used in my new computer.

Here's where my problem starts. i installed my ssd first and now i have win10 on it, im certain its my bootdrive as i wanted. then i open my rig back up to pop the hard drive i wanted to store everything in, inside of it. after doing this i was expecting my screen to display my desktop as it was on my old computer with my programs and files on screen as i had them. however it remained the same as it was when i first initially installed windows after i booted up the pc.

However on my second observation i noticed if i go to documents> this pc> and my hard drive (not the ssd that is my c: drive. all the content is there and there's a file that says "users" and inside was my user account from my old pc and there's another folder named desktop where i noticed there was everything. upon further examination of the files and folders on my installed hard drive it appears everything is there.
    so where is my stuff on my desktop screen? why are new programs being installed on my ssd? are all my old programs and files accessible? need i configure something to get things setup the way i want them?

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    See Attached.
    All operational programs must be installed in the C: SSD drive.
    My SSD is my OS W7 ... Operational System only.

My Documents in my C: SSD is empty.
    All My data is in my HDDs X, Y & Z (USB external).

My Desktop in C: SSD is mostly shortcuts to Data in X: HDD
    Y & Z are just copies/clones/backups of X.

Acronis is used to Image (backup) the system in my SSD.
    I also have a backup SSD loaded and ready to just plug in.
    FreeFileSync is used to keep X, Y & Z identical (Backups)

Programs are not accessible ... They must be installed
    Data is accessible from old HDD >> users ..... desktop (folder)

I would suggest a Samsung 260 SSD or a Western Digital Blue ... (better endurance)
    250 gig is enough for my W7 OS ... (bigger just costs more)

You'll love the speed Photoshop loads at :D
    Premiere Elements used for video editing here
    WD Black is my favorite also .... 1TB only, I'd rather just get another when full.
    Cost is about the same.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
  3. IMightJustBeYourSister

I really appreciate the response back love <3 hmm, i'm still confused; but i understand what you mean. so my question now is, what do i do about my data on my hdd?
    because my expectation was to be able to use the contents of my hdd as i would on my old pc. haha i had no intentions on reinstalling everything, hence the reason i cloned, or migrated everything over from my old drive. my ssd i only wanted to have my os installed on it, and maybe 1 or 2 programs like you say photoshop. my ssd is a sandisk ultra and is about 128gbs, where as my hdd is 2tb
    and like i said when i go to this pc> hdd and search through it everything seems to be there my folders and what not. so it makes me wonder if theres away i can just load my old user profile up and would that have everything the way it was on my old pc? do i have to change my c drive to my hdd? because i only wanted the ssd to hold my OS and a couple other programs. i also noticed whenecer i download or save anything it defaults to my ssd when my hdd is intended for storage. haha sorry i'm all too new to building computers and understanding them. so if im giving you a migraine im sorry.

below are some screen caps i posted to further elaborate what i mean

Attached Files:

4. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Your old HDD is a mix of Data and the Operating System.
    You can still access all your data in the HDD from the SSD …
    but the operating system in the HDD is useless now.
    Your 111GB SSD would make me a little nervous for spare operating space.
    You only have 28 gig available to use in your SSD.
    That’s why I suggested a 250-256 gig SSD.

When I download or make something … I first make place to put it in my HDD.

Just now downloaded a 1.5hr HD movie for editing, making DVDs ... etc …
    And another 1.5 hr will be tomorrow morning.

All I can think of suggesting right now ….
    I’m put the old 2TB HDD in a USB external enclosure and install a new HDD internally.
    Then copy the Data I need, or can find, from the old to the new HDD.

And start thinking about a new Samsung or Western Digital SSD …. 250-256GB.
    You'll probably need it soon.

Most everything on my System desktop in my SSD for Data ... is a shortcut to its location in my HDD.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
  5. IMightJustBeYourSister

oh, i think i know what you're saying. so there not really anything wrong? i can just make shortcuts on my current ssd desktop to the files and programs on my hdd?
    then manage all future downloads and installs to my hdd?

i'll definitely consider getting a better ssd soon once i get the money. but im wondering is it possible to make my hdd my main drive? or would that not work with
    my os being on my ssd? im only asking this because i just want to have all my old folders and files show up on my desktop screen but everything is currently inside the "desktop"
    folders on my hdd, where as my ssd desktop folders is empty

6. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Yes ... You could use the HDD and not worry about the fact it has the system in it.
    Yes ... Most of my SSD Desktop is just shortcuts to the file/folder in my HDDs

Attached Files:

7. Miqw7394

Miqw7394

First Name:
    Mike
    @ Noyb:-

Can I ask a question here, if I may? (Purely out of 'curiosity', like.....)

I dumped Windows and moved to Linux at EOL for XP. I hear a lot of people saying that Windows 10 needs lots (and lots) of space to work properly. Many folks say that space 'is tight' with a 500 GB drive.....and some recommend a 1 TB drive to be on the safe side..!

This probably sounds daft to a Windows user, but (bearing in mind that I used to run XP on a 50 GB partition, where it was more than happy), let me ask you this:-

What in tarnation's name does Windows 10 DO with all that space?? Why does it need so much??

Is it anything to do with these 'ghost copies' I keep hearing about.....'cos modern Windows truly is a mystery to me these days! (And what's with all this 'system reserved' stuff.....which from what I understand, can, by itself, account for somewhere around the 50 GB mark..?)

Hopefully somebody, somewhere, will actually give me an answer to this one of these days.... :D

Mike. ;)

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
  8. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Sorry .... I don't (won't) do W10, until I'm forced to.
    Just very recently had to dump XP because of my video work.
    Anybody ???

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  9. AmyToo

AmyToo

First Name:
    Amy
    Windows 10 doesn't need 500GB or 1TB of space. It runs fine on a 128 SSD.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I have win10 enterprise installed on a 500gig nvme drive. Along with win10, office 2016, UT3, UT2004 and various utilities ie ccleaner, irfanfiew, cdbrunerxp, etc. All of this takes up 48gig or so. The idea that you need a 500gig drive for win10 is ludicrous.
    Without the games and office, win10 takes up approx 20gig or so.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
  11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1219234

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice