How do I find out which DirectX is

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Gary R

installed in my computer :confused:
A program I was looking at requires DirectX 7.0, but I don't know if it is on this system.....
==

Windows 98SE (Ver. 4.10.2222A), Outlook Express 5.50; Internet Explorer 5.50; 1 GHz. Athlon Thunderbird; 256 Mb. RAM; 32 Mb. Sound Card; 32 Mb. Video card.

Gary R

VERY INTERESTING Program! :)

First time I'd even heard of it! Sure tells a lot.
OK, for DirectX, mine says its version 6.1a (4.06.03.0518). So if I get the prog., will have to find 7.0 & figure where to save it :)
Does DirectX Ver. 7 have any problems i should be aware of before downloding & setting it up?
---
not very tech minded :) had old computer (200 MHz. Pentium Pro; 32 Mb RAM) 3 years and never opened the Registry program just to see what it looked like.

directx 8 is the current version, should be alright to download and install from windows update

As a total ignoramus re tech issues, could you please tell me what is the function of Direct X?? If it is important, should I upgrade to 8.1 and what potential problems should I be looking for.

Thanks for your help.

:) ;)

It's microsoft's api drivers for d3d. You should upgrade but I would check for upgrades for your video and sound cards before installation. Only problems I have really heard about are with sound cards using really old drivers.

About DirectX
Microsoft DirectX is an advanced suite of multimedia APIs (application programming interfaces) built into Microsoft Windows operating systems. DirectX provides a standard development platform for Windows-based PCs by enabling software developers to access specialized hardware features without having to write hardware-specific code. DirectX was first introduced in 1995 and is a recognized standard for multimedia application development on the Windows platform.

you can download directx from here
http://www.microsoft.com/directx/homeuser/downloads/default.asp

or use the windows update feature

Brian....

Thanks very much!! Particularly appreciate your prompt response and pointing out the need to check the video drivers.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online