1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I find the driver for my network adapter?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by rrod93, Sep 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rrod93

rrod93 Thread Starter

I recently reformated and reinstalled XP but I overlooked gathering the drivers. I'm sure I would be able to get them if my computer could connect to the internet but unfortunately I need to get a driver in order to do that. The problem is I can't really find the driver. I looked under System Information and my network adapter is apparently a RAS Async Adapter, but I can't for the life of me find anywhere to get the driver and I'm starting to believe that it's because RAS Async Adapter doesn't really describe my network adapter correctly. I almost got something when I went to CNET but it took me to Microsoft Support or something and it started to scan this computer for updates so I just left cause whatever it finds will be useless to me no doubt.

Anybody have any ideas?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You're connected to the Internet right now, download them on the machine you're using and move them with removable storage.

3. rrod93

rrod93 Thread Starter

I know, I get that. I'm asking if anybody knows a place to get drivers directly. Everywhere I go I get redirected to some driver manager download or driver scan. Very frustrating.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

This is my preferred order for finding drivers:

1. PC manufacturer's web site, [for Dell use your Service Tag for easier searching]
    2. Motherboard manufacturer's web site,
    3. Device manufacturer's web site,
    4. A "drivers" site, such as DriverGuide,
    5. Anywhere you can find one that might work,
    6. Let Device Manager try to find one.
    7. Use Windows Update.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you gave us the exact make/model of the computer and/or network adapter, we could probably be more help. Short of that, we're stuck with generic suggestions.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/950450