1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I find what devices have been installed?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by FriendofBill14, Jul 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FriendofBill14

FriendofBill14 Thread Starter

My house was recently burgled and they took my external hard drive. I've had it for years so have lost all my paperwork for it. I want to be able to give my insurance company accurate details about it but can't remember anything including make, model, or size. Is there any way for me to find some or all of this info on my computer? I have an Inspiron running Windows 7. Thanks for your help.

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

Having previously been an insurance claims investigator for 15 years all I can say is if you don't have any information on the item stolen then you really don't have a claim for the external drive. You can't expect an insurer to pay a claim for an "unknown" item.

3. FriendofBill14

Thanks for not answering my question at all. I've already spoken to my insurance company. I want to know if there's a way to find this information on my computer, not in-put about how to file a claim. If you can be helpful, please respond. Otherwise, go away.

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

There's no record on your computer of every device's make, model, and serial number that's ever been connected. Frankly, it seems odd you can't remember anything about a drive you used so long and so often. If it's several years old, it was probably about 300GB or so? They'd only pay out replacement value at best, and that would be less than $50.

5. FriendofBill14

It was either 300g or 500g, I can't remember for sure. I think it was made by Realtek but that may have been one of my thumb drives. I don't remember the specifics because honestly they don't matter to me. I got it years ago and it did its job perfectly so I didn't need to know the make or model. It still had plenty of room so I didn't need to think about its capacity. I'm not super worried about the reimbursement, I just want to be able to give both my insurance company and the police an accurate description. I know it wasn't worth much. But thank you for giving me a genuine answer. I thought it was worth asking.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1008413

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice