1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I fix a black screen of death?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by CapnChronic, Nov 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CapnChronic

CapnChronic Thread Starter

Yesterday I was watching a movie on VLC media player when my whole laptop started freezing randomly, and I had to wait 1 minute until it unfroze, and after that it was slow as sh*t and I couldn't even restart it, it would stay stuck on my desktop wallpaper. Then I just got impatient and removed my laptop battery and unplugged the AC cord. Then I restarted my laptop and I couldn't get passed the BIOS, it just showed a black screen with no cursor or anything.

I tried pressing F8 to enter safe mode but the safe mode screen doesn't appear. I also tried doing a system restore from my BIOS but it would just give me an error saying that the restore point was corrupted. Also, I did drop my laptop about 30 mins before this happened, but it wasn't even a 1 foot drop and it was on carpet, but I'm guessing by this that something inside the laptop got dislocated or something. And yes it was the only time I've dropped it. Also, when you let the black screen on for about 15 mins it goes into System Repair but that doesn't do anything at all.

I wouldn't mind just taking it to the shop and completely reinstalling Windows, but I have about 10gb of music and I seriously don't want to lose it. Yes I know I should have backed it up but I've never had a problem before so I didn't expect this.

I have an HP G60 if that matters at all.

Thanks.

2. mel8again

mel8again

There is more to the model than G60. Look on the bottom for other numbers. The hard drive can be removed from the laptop and connected to another pc. The other pc may be able to read the drive if it is not too badly damaged. The personal files could be copied and pasted to a flash drive or whatever else you want. Do you have the manual? If your hard drive has a partition there should be a key for you to push on startup to do a recovery. If not you can get recovery disks from HP.

3. CapnChronic

Exactly how do I copy and paste my files to a flash drive if I can't access my desktop? Honestly it's the only thing I want to know, I could just reinstall Windows afterwards.

4. mel8again

mel8again

As stated, remove the hard drive and connect it to another pc where you can copy and paste your personal files to another drive. After that is complete you can put the drive back in your laptop and do the recovery.

5. CapnChronic

Ok, got it. But my other PC is a Dell desktop, so do I have to remove my desktop's hard drive or something? Sorry, I don't really know much about computer hardware.

6. mel8again

mel8again

You can take the side off your computer and mount the drive and connect it. You can also buy devices that will allow you to connect your drive to the desktop via a USB port. See one at http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812232024. I have this product and it works superbly. I use it for monthly backups.

7. CapnChronic

Ok, thanks. I'll just take my laptop and PC tower to the shop and do it there.

One last question, any idea on what might have caused this sudden BSOD?

8. mel8again

mel8again

Could have been the fall. Drives are very delicate. In the future make sure you store you files on a flash drive, CD, or DVD so they will be safe.

9. Megabite

Megabite

Was it working OK before the little drop and was it ON when you dropped it?

10. CapnChronic

Yes to both questions, and thanks for your help mel8again, I appreciate it.

11. Megabite

Megabite

Could be the hard drive as it was spinning at that time. Your Best bet is to see if you can recover the data as suggested first.

12. CapnChronic

Yeah that's what I'm going to do. What sucks though is that my warranty ran out only 2 weeks ago.

Anyways thanks, probably going to replace the hard drive anyway as I want a bigger one.

13. Megabite

Megabite

Isn't that always the way with warranty, it as if they know

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029097

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice