1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I fix boot.ini with no install disk

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Brittany206, Jan 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Brittany206

Brittany206 Thread Starter

Am trying to get my kids computer fixed but keep getting invalid boot message. Says that <windows root>\system 32\hal.dll is missing or corrupt. Just wanting to know what can I do to fix this issue so that my kids can use the computer. Is there a free download of this anywhere? If so what type of disk do I need to save this on. I'm currently using my laptop. What are the steps needed to download the software using my computer so I can get there other working again. PLEASE HELP!

2. surferdude2

surferdude2

I'm curious as to why you think you need to fix the boot.ini file. It can indeed cause the problem you are having but there can be many other things that cause this same error message.

Even so, here is what I can offer. If the system with the problem is using the NTFS file storage system (most are), AND if the problem computer contains either a floppy disk drive or a CD-ROM drive, you can download and create either a bootable floppy or bootable CD that will allow you to access and edit the boot.ini file. You can get either download you need to create whichever one you need by clicking HERE. Instructions are on the page.

As a precaution, I advise copying down the original file before doing any changes since if you have another problem you don't want to muddy the water.

Post back if you need further. I have some other boot media creators that may be helpful in troubleshooting your problem.

3. Brittany206

Thanks suferdude2 I didn't mean to put how to in the title of my form..sorrry am new to this. I will try your advice hopefully i works...thanks again

4. Brittany206

Was also wanting to know when i hit a key a screen pops up say F1= setup F10 system recovery do I need to click on either on of those?

5. surferdude2

surferdude2

Brittany, If you choose the F10 option, you will be offered the opportunity of restoring your system to the state that it was when it was first used. You would lose any personal data files but it will likely make the system work again and you won't have to do any troubleshooting. There may be other options offered as well, depending on your particular system.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974667

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice