1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I format a HD that prevents booting????

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by LoKi_chaos, Feb 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LoKi_chaos

LoKi_chaos Thread Starter

Hello!

I have a major problem:

I have a sick PC, which has lots of data/software on it which I really prefer not to lose. The PC gives "missing/corrupt hal.dll" messages on boot and will no longer actually 'do' anything.

Spec:
    P4 2.3Mhz Intel
    WinXP Pro (missing install disks and no recovery disks)
    CD-ROM, CD-RW, Floppy
    Seagate 80Gb HD

I have another PC (thank heavens), and I have tried hooking up the 'sick' HD to it as a slave, but then during booting (at the point where you get the Win2000 bootscreen) it jumps to the infamous 'blue screen of death'....

Spec 2nd PC:
    P3 600Mhz Intel
    Win2000
    CD-ROM, Floppy
    Seagate 20Gb HD

Now what I would really like is:

To retrieve ALL my data/software from my 'sick' HD and continue using WinXP Pro.

What I'm willing to settle for is:

Losing ALL my data from 'sick' HD and starting all over again with Win2000 on it.

I DO NOT have a any WinXP CD ROMs
    I DO have a Win200 install CD
    I CAN download stuff and burn CDs if necessary

Can anyone please help me?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I suggest you connect the disk drive to the secondary IDE channel. Temporarily remove any devices on that channel for the data recovery.

3. LoKi_chaos

Thanks for your quick reply!

Could you please bring it down one level?
    In other words: How do I do that? :)

4. LoKi_chaos

Okay, thanks again for all your posts - I gave almost everything a try.

Here's where I am now:

I installed MS DOS, and used fdisk to delete a partition (I was flying blind at this point)... with my HD hooked up to my CD ROM as a slave.
    I installed Win2000 without a hitch and was ready to take a look to see if I had managed to retain any data.
    I restarted my system to watch Win2000 start for the first time when during the bootscreen BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH!!!!

***STOP: 0X0000007B (xX818984D0,0xC000014F,0x00000000,0x00000000) INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

I've tried allsorts to get it working, even hooking my HD back up to the old cable (not as a slave to CD ROM) and then my PC didn't even recognise it anymore!

So in summary:

Win2000 installed but crashes on startup
    HD hooked up as slave to CD ROM
    HD will not work on original cable

Help!?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/332475

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice