1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I format my C: drive - Windows Vista

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by jg1234, Dec 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jg1234

jg1234 Thread Starter

Hi Folks,

I have a two year old HP Pavilion desktop. I have all the official recovery disks from HP for Windows Vista SP1 - 32 bit and my drivers from the original setup when I purchased it.

The instructions I have from HP talk about recovering and re installing the system - not erasing and reformatting it completely. I have already secured any files/data/programs I need.

How do I completely erase / wipe my C: drive fully ?

I have some viruses on there so the reformat is the way I want to go. I should mention I have one physical 250 GB drive but two partitions - one is C - the other is D ( which contained the re image file s- which is new corrupted )

Any help or information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks - jg1234

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    A utility like DBAN burned onto a bootable CD can be used to completely wipe (zero fill) all sectors on hard drives. It will not reformat the drive. You would need to make sure that the recovery discs will format the drive as part of the recovery process.

http://www.dban.org/

3. jg1234

jg1234 Thread Starter

Thanks Cwwozniak,

The last time I did anything like this was with Win 98SE and XP. I recall the need to have the disk in back then but thought it was different.

I checked online and do see where the format option with Vista is an option after I have the disk in.

Is the format option on the disk the same thing as in the old days where you basically did the c:/ format type thing ?

-jg1234

4. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    I would suspect that a bootable recovery CD from the factory would sense that the hard drive was not formatted and step you through formatting and partitioning the hard drive as part of the recovery procedure. You would not need to type in any kind of DOS formatting commands. HOWEVER, I can not say that with 100% certainty.

As a note of caution, make sure you do not have any other hard drives attached internally or externally except the one you wish to wipe with DBAN.

5. jg1234

jg1234 Thread Starter

Thanks cwwozniak,

I will give this all a try.

I appreciate the information.

-jg1234

6. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    You're welcome.

Please be sure to revisit this thread and let us know the results and hopefully mark it a as solved.

7. pcnewbie1

pcnewbie1

how do i burn dban to a cd ? when i try a window pops up saying you do not have permission to open this file.see the owner of the file or an administrator to obtain permiossion.yet it will let me download it to my desktop

8. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    The file that is downloaded is an ISO image file of a CD. It is not a file that is opened or saved to a CD but rather used by compatible burning software to create a CD from the ISO file. I don't think that Windows Vista has built in support fro burning CDs directly from an ISO. I use a commercial program called NERO, but there are free ones as well. Here is a link to an older thread that mentions some software th may work for you:
    http://forums.techguy.org/multimedia/735389-iso-image-burning-help.html

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!