1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I format my hard drive???

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Holly3278, Oct 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Holly3278

Holly3278 Thread Starter

Hi everyone. I was recently having a bad problem with Javascript on my computer that I couldn't fix. I came on here and posted a message and I got around 30 replies of ideas to fix it. Well, I tried them all and nothing worked. So, I reinstalled Windows. I had planned to format my partition and then reinstall Windows but it didn't go that way. Turns out that I accidently reinstalled Windows and left all my programs here. Now this would be good except for the fact that my computer is a bit messed up. All of my programs are still here BUT none of them are on the start menu among other things. So, I am considering trying to figure out how to do a format of the partition and then reinstall Windows once again. But if I can get the current Windows fixed where everything on the start menu is where it belongs and everything, I'll be fine with that. So, I am going to try a few things and meanwhile I would just like some advice on how to get my format working. Here's what I did. I loaded my restore disk into the computer which has a copy of XP on it. I have formatted from this disk before so I was trying to do it again. I hit Install Windows. So, it proceeded to reinstall Windows but wouldn't format the hard drive. So, I tried again doing the same thing I did before. When I got to the part where I could delete the partition, it told me I couldn't delete the partition because there were temporary installation files (for XP installation I suppose) that are required for the installation of XP. So, I am unable to format that partition for that reason. I would appreciate any advice you can give me. As of right now, the normal startup items are not loading on startup and my start menu is messed up. I am working on fixing that right now. Well, send the answers my way onto this forum. I'll be checking back frequently during the day. I'll let you all know if I get Windows working normally again! Later!

2. GyBear

GyBear

Well, if you really want to start anew....

Put your WinXP CD in your CD reader.
    Go to your BIOS setup.
    Select CD-Rom as primary boot device.
    Save settings and reboot.
    Answer YES when asked Boot from CD?
    Then select Start computer with CD ROM support on the menu displayed.
    Once you get the DOS prompt (A>), type FDISK<Return>.
    Delete all your partitions (logical drives first).
    Reboot with the XP CD still in the drive.
    You'll have to perform a full XP installation again, including re-activation (and then re-install all your software).

Good luck.

P.S. In your BIOS setup, don't forget to reset HDD (IDE-0?) as primary boot device.

3. Holly3278

Holly3278 Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice but I was able to figure it out on my own. What I did was I had to boot from my restore disk and format it that way. From there, I was able to reinstall XP. But thanks for the advice anyway! It solved my drop down menu problem as well thankfully!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171895

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice