1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I forward ports for two Xbox one X's

Discussion in 'Networking' started by sinistermanifesto69, Dec 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sinistermanifesto69

sinistermanifesto69 Thread Starter

So for a long time I've had the problem with my NAT reading "moderate" and "not all services available" on my Xbox, although I was still able to play online but it sucked, constantly disconnecting with extremely high ping.

I was able to fix the problem on my Xbox by going into my router setting and forwarding some ports, now it works great, my NAT now reads "open" and "all services available"

MY PROBLEM
    My brother who I share an apartment with also has an Xbox and although I was able to forward ports for my console his is now reading "NAT type STRICT" and "not all services available" I'm having a very difficult time forwarding the ports for his device also if anyone has any ideas I'd really appreciate the help!!

By the way I have AT&T U-verse and my router is a ARRIS NVG589

2. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    There is no way that a specific port can be forwarded to two different ip's. It's just not possible.
    What you can do, and it may not help at all, is to set static IP's on both devices, remove/disable the port forwarding and then see if the NAT status changes.

3. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Setting the devices to static private IPs will not help.

This is what you get when you have gaming programmers try to do networking and forcing people into turning their consoles/PCs into P2P servers.

The only way to get around this situation is to get two public IPs and then a firewall/router that can handle running two public IPs or to add a switch and run two different routers/firewalls.

4. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    Please explain to me how assigning two internal static IP's and removing/disabling port forwarding will turn these consoles into P2P servers.

5. zx10guy

I see you're not a gamer.

It has nothing to do about the IP address configuration of the gaming consoles. Back in the good old days before these stupid game consoles appeared on the market and online gaming was solely a PC thing, there were these things called dedicated servers. One of the games that popularized the use of dedicated gaming servers was Counterstrike. A dedicated server was stood up on the Internet and those of us looking to do multiplayer gaming would just click on the option in our local install of the game to search online for available dedicated servers or to connect to a specific server if we had its IP address. In this age of non console corruption, we didn't have to do anything to our firewalls as there was no need to. No need to do port forwarding as we were connecting to a dedicated server in the same way I would hit a web server such as CNN.

Fast forward when gaming consoles appeared and the gaming companies figuring out they can monetize online gaming by forcing users of consoles to have to use servers they own/control. This movement effectively killed off dedicated servers we as PC gamers enjoyed for free because the games were eventually developed for the consoles first and ported over to the PC versus vice versa in the beginning of consoles appearing. To further this along, the gaming companies decided that having dedicated servers which required a ton of resources is not in their best interest especially if a ton of users connected all at once. So then the shift went to having the consoles themselves be the hosting multiplayer servers. This is why you now have to violate all security and poke holes in your firewall to allow inbound connections from other gaming consoles. While the requirement is still there that your gaming box has to connect to some server being run by the gaming company, this server is now only a transaction broker where it goes to pair up users looking to game against each other and then to assign one of the grouped users as the gaming server that everyone connects to. In the past, we as PC gamers had the choice of being the gaming server others would connect to. It is now a requirement as that's how all the latest games function for online gaming. So what the gaming industry has done is forced everyone to participate into P2P networking. You may be the server everyone connects to you may not. This is why there has been limitations placed on how many gamers can participate on a given server because they know the resources on a gaming console are limited. In the good old PC days, there wasn't a limit unless the owner of the PC or dedicated server sets one. This is why you'll never see online console gaming sessions where there are 30+ people on at the same time shooting up each other. I remember one dedicated PC server being hosted at a University I found. They had a big fat Internet pipe for this server and apparently it had a lot of hardware resources. There were 50 of us in there all at once on a big open map with no lag in performance.

I like gaming but I don't do as much as I used to especially online multiplayer. I refuse to weaken security of my home network because the gaming industry doesn't give a [insert your colorful metaphor here] about your security as we know these gaming networks have never been hacked [/sarcasm]. And because these ports are well known and required, it doesn't take much to figure out it's an open door invitation for hackers to sweep through IP addresses on the Internet looking for these ports to start probing. The fact they use stupid descriptions of what your router configuration is with NAT strict or NAT moderate is a testament to this. These terms do not exist in the real networking world. And the connotation it gives is that there is a misconfiguration of your router/firewall settings when in fact if you peel back the layers it is them masking the fact they want you to punch a hole in your firewall and remove any filtering rules to allow unsolicited connections in to your internal network. If the gaming industry told everyone exactly what I said in my previous sentence is what they want you to do just to online game, would any of you voluntarily do this?

It's unfortunate how online gaming has evolved into this. The only way their gaming development behavior is going to change is when we as consumers stop allowing the gaming companies to force us into this model. By stopping the use of the online gaming environment these gaming companies are making us use, this will send a message to them that what they're doing is unacceptable. Unfortunately, this will never happen.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  6. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    You're right. I'm not a gamer. If you notice, I specifically said to disable/delete the port forwarding. No offense meant. I just don't see how it could be turned into a P2P gateway/server.

7. zx10guy

I'm not saying turning off port forwarding or doing anything to the network will make a change in how these gaming consoles function. They function as P2P devices right out of the box.

By your suggestion of turning off port forwarding, not only will it not help the brother, but will break the functionality of the OP's gaming console. And that's why I said the only way around this is for the OP to see if it's possible for him to get 2 public IPs so there would be the ability to pin on gaming console to one public IP with the requisite port forwarding rules established.

8. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    I agree. The only way to ensure connectivity for both is to have two separate public IP's each forwarding to a different device.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1221123

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice