1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I free up space in my old laptop?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by marc brds, Apr 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. marc brds

marc brds Thread Starter

Hi all,

This is my first post here. I was happy to hear of this forum when I did.:)

I have an old (2002) Toshiba Sattelite S1800-712 laptop (Windows XP 2002 Home), that has filled up almost completely. Btw, I only use the computer for Word and internet.
    I am unable to install the Windows automatic updates, and unable to rearange (defragmentate?) my hard drive ( I don't have the required 15% free space on my C drive, the D drive is still good, and has free space enough.)
    I already have deleted everything I can miss, music listening programs, extra dvd viewing programs, etc. What can I do to free up more space? Can I fe delete old updates for Java, and Windows?
    Can I just randomly move programs to my D drive? Can I make changes to the size of both drives? (Make the D smaller and the C larger.)

Thanks in advance.

best regards,

Marc

2. The computer man

The computer man

Hi, try doing Defrags and disk clean ups. My PC was pretty slow before I did them now I have apx 50% free space on my laptop

3. vicks

vicks

Open my computer, right click on the c drive. select disk cleanup and let it do it's thing. Also go to controll panel>add remove programs> and remove any programs listed there that you do not want to use. this should help free up some space on the computer so you can run defrag.
    Post back and let us know how it works for you
    vicks

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    You could also use the More Options tab in Disk Cleanup and remove all but the latest System Restore points, this should free up a lot of space.

In Disk Cleanup I would only use Compress old files as a last resort, it will slow down the computer and it's difficult to reverse.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/701890

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice