1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I get a modem/router and router to talk.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by scooby_steve, Aug 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. scooby_steve

scooby_steve Thread Starter

Hi,

I know this has been asked plenty of times but i thought i might create a new thread because it is slightly different from the other problems.

I've got a friend who has got a modem/router(MR) that has another router (R) connected. I've got MR doing the DHCP and is on the IP address 192.168.0.1. I've allocated IP addresses between 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.50 for DHCP.

I've set R to recieve its IP address from MR. When i open up the web browser interface for MR and view the DHCP allocations, it says that R has IP address 192.168.0.2.

I also have a workstation (PC) connected to MR and generally gets IP address of 192.168.0.3.

From PC, i can ping MR but not R.

I also have a Multi-Funciton Device (MFD) that is set to DHCP and attached to R. I've noticed that MFD gets the IP address of 192.168.1.2 not and an IP address of 192.168.0.x (as it should if MR was doing DHCP).

I can not ping MFD from PC as well.

I tried setting up a static route in MR so that PC would know how to get to the 192.168.1.x range. My input was:

destination: 192.168.1.0
    Subnet: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 192.168.0.2

the reason gateway being 192.168.0.2 was because that was the IP address given to R by MR (as per the DHCP allocation table). Have i got this right?

So, the question overall is, if both MR and R are giving out DHCP, how do i get devices on each IP address range to talk to each other? ie, how do i get PC to talk to MFD if they are on different ranges?

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Disable DHCP on the router. But I think the router needs to be (some number) compliant or a DHCP relay in able to give an IP address to the other devices. As for the pinging, it's probably because routers have rules to block ping requests from the WAN side (to prevent the PING OF DEATH! DUN DUN DUN!!!)

Some of the threads here have information on connecting two routers together (info provided by JohnWill)

3. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Something like this:

4. scooby_steve

If i disable DHCP in R (the router), because my MFD is connected to R, will my MFD still get an IP address from MR (modem/router)?

I would assume so but can you please confirm.

Also, if however, i wanted to have two lans, how would i get them talking? Would the use of static routes be the way to go?

thanks.

5. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    in theory, for two lans it should work, both can be DHCP, you just have to make sure you allow all traffic from your first router on the second router.

EDIT: I retract the statement because the modem/router will require an IP address for both the ISP and the second LAN.

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Static routes would work if the M/R has an IP address from the other router. My best guess is you need to do the joining of two devices as JohnWill described.

7. scooby_steve

Johnwill's suggestion is in the other thread similiar to mine isnt it? the one about the wireless?

8. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
  9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489229

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice