1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I get data off an old hard disk drive?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Faz4002197, May 31, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Faz4002197

Faz4002197 Thread Starter

Hello I’m not sure you can help but i hope you can. So basically I have an hard disk drive that i took out of an old computer because i think it stopped working which was ages ago. I now have this hard disk drive which i really want to see the data on which is family pictures and videos. I have purchased things to try and view the data on a laptop like a docking station and an adapter but still i couldn’t see anything. I really don’t know what to do because i keep getting my hopes up thinking the next thing i buy will work but it doesn’t. I just want to know what i need to do or even buy to be able to see the data so i can move the pictures and videos onto something like an SD card. I just don’t want the drive to collect dust and become so old that it doesn’t work at all.

2. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    Is it a laptop or desktop HDD?

If you tried everything possible and it didn't work, then your HDD is already dead.
    If you want your data you may try sending it to a data recovery for a fee. The minimum amount I have seen is $300.00 dollars.

3. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    It's simply a matter of connecting the drive and browsing the contents.

Is the drive recognized by Windows Drive Manager? If not, there is an issue with the drive or the dock. If it is recognized, what is the status?

4. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    If it stopped working and has been sitting around for, as you said, ages, it won't magically start working again.
    If is doesn't spin up and is not seen, no enclosure or adapter will allow the contents to be seen when hooked up to another computer.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1227944

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice