1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I get into Win2K

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by pthres, Dec 18, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pthres

pthres Thread Starter

A friend has recently bought a Win2K machine, upto now he's been logging into it no problem ( username and password already filled in ) so all he has to do is press enter. Now what has happened is he thought that he could make up his own password and name from the login dialog box, so he cleared them out and tried to enter his own ( which we all know is not possible with Win2k as it is with Win98 ) so now he's locked out of it.....He can't telephone the previous owner because he's moved to Spain!!!

So my question is this :-
    he knows it was setup for networking but does not know the IP address or workgroup name, so what I want to know is if I then plug my Win2k laptop into it how do I find out these details ( reason being on my own system I have Admin rights, so in theory If I can set-up my own system to match his ip range and workgroup I could then remotely setup a user account and password that would allow him to log back in ) I've done this many times on my own network BUT I know the ranges and workgroup name so obviously this is easy..............

2. Brooks

Brooks Guest

3. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

I found this. Hope it helps.

People often find themselves locked out of their Windows 2000 or Windows NT systems as a result of a lost password for the Administrator account. Usually people consider the system a lost cause and start rebuilding it. However, you can use the following tip to work around this problem. When Win2K or NT boots, the OS usually displays the Ctrl+Alt+Del screen for approximately 20 minutes before the display changes and the logon box moves around the screen. When this happens, the machine has activated the screensaver logon.scr. If you replace this file with an alternative file (e.g., cmd.exe), the system will run this file under the system account instead of logon.scr. At this point, a user could issue a command such as Net User, usermgr.exe, or compmgmt.msc to reset the Administrator password.

4. Brooks

Brooks Guest

Now that is an interesting tip.

I will put that one down in my handy little logbook.

5. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

DoyceJ, how to suggest the user change that file? You can't use a Windows boot disk if the partition is NTFS.

pthres, have him try Administrator and leave the password field blank.

6. pthres

pthres Thread Starter

Thanks guys :) will go all your suggestions a go

7. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

Max- I had run across the same answer in several different places with no explanation given in any as to how. I took it for granted that a w2k user or one of you would know.

8. Brooks

Brooks Guest

A second Install of XP/2000 on the same computer.

Installing the drive as a slave or secondary onto another computer with Xp/2000.

Either of these would work.

9. p5mmx10g

p5mmx10g

make sure you guys are on the network and the connection are fine. use computer management. select connect to another computer, that way it will browse the network. it should find the name of that computer, if not, go look for something that can scan the ip address on the network. hope that will work

10. eandre

eandre

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62213

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice