1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I get my drive to recognize my audio cd?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by K-Fed, Oct 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. K-Fed

K-Fed Thread Starter

Need help trying to get my D drive to read and play my cd, it doesn't recognize my cd's when I insert them. It's an all in one drive and recognize's my dvd's but not my cd's.

Please anyone?

2. zabusant

zabusant

What are the drive's specs?

3. K-Fed

K-Fed Thread Starter

Not sure off the top, I will check when I get home and let you know. It's a Toshiba laptop and it's a dvd, cd and cd-r drive all in one, if that helps? I've already tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drives, no luck there.

4. Claymore

Claymore

Hello,

When you say it doesn't recognize CD's, do you mean it just doesn't autoplay them, or the CD isn't recognized at all in that in Explorer (My Computer) if you double-click on the drive, you can't even see the files?

5. zabusant

zabusant

Well, I also have a Toshiba laptop and this is a common thing - my drive often doesn't recognize a cd (that is, it appears to be empty even tho the cd is inserted - is this your problem?). There is no fix for this, it seems that the hardware is incompatible, but it reads the cd if you insert it and then restart your computer. Not really a solution, sorry, perhaps you have a different situation.

6. Claymore

Claymore

7. K-Fed

K-Fed Thread Starter

I just want to say thanks to everyone for the replies so far, it's nice to know that my computer is not the only one with issues.

Zabusant that is the issue, when I insert the cd, a) it does not autoplay and b) it's not even recognized in the D drive. This is not the case with all my cd's, my computer seems to pick and choose which one's it does not want to recognize.

Claymore thanks for the link I will check it out and see what it brings me.

I know there must me a way to fix this problem...

8. K-Fed

K-Fed Thread Starter

Claymore,

I checked out that link and merged the drives.reg but unfortunately it did not work, my cd's are still not running. I just bought 3 more new cd's today and they would run on my computer at work but nothing on my laptop.

This is a brand new problem because I was having no issues with my cd's running when I first got my computer. I did encounter a spyware virus about 2 months ago so I took it to some guy to clean it out, and he did but since then that's when I've noticed this issue with my drive.

I'm baffled.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/645982

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice