1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do i get out of safe mode???

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by alligurl, Sep 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alligurl

alligurl Thread Starter

Okay... so the other night my pc wasnt shutting off correctly.... it would get all the way to the end of how it normally does, and just stay a black screen ... so i shut it off by holding the power button down till it shut off... the next day it started in safe mode... and usually all i have to do is just restart it again.. and its fine... BUT.... it's not... it's still in SAFE MODE... ive tried holding down on the CTRL button when i restart it... and try to start it in normal mode... doesnt wrk... ive tried cleaning up my registry... dsnt wrk... can you please help me?! thanks for everything... alli :confused: i have windows ME

2. natcom

natcom

try this http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q306615

or you can also open the msdos.sys file for editing in DOS, but you first have to remove the "Hidden" attribute:

attrib -h c:\msdos.sys
    edit c:\msdos.sys

In DOS Edit, you have to use the ALT key in combination with the highlighted letter from the menu option, and then press Enter to action that option, eg. File > Save would be Alt + F then Alt +S.

After saving it, reset the "hidden" attribute:

attrib +h c:\msdos.sys

If it won't let you save it because it is "Read Only", then do:

attrib -h -r c:\msdos.sys

3. alligurl

alligurl Thread Starter

the Bootsafe lines arent even there when i try to change or delete it... the only options i have are Bootmulti=0 and BootGUI=1 .... now what?

4. natcom

natcom

try this

1. restart the computer and press f8 for menu
    2. choose "command prompt only"
    3. at the prompt type: scanreg /restore
    4. from the list of dates you will get , choose the one befor the system scan.
    5. press ok and reboot after process end.

5. natcom

natcom

if that those not work read under

Here is a 10 steps approach to fixing unable to boot up problem. Follow one at a time and reboot. If one works, you don't have to go to the next one. Step 7 is for Windows ME only.

1. First, boot to DOS with a boot disk. If you don't have one, get one from www.bootdisk.com . From a:> type "scanreg /restore" without the quotes and hit ENTER. Select a date before the problem occurred. Note the space between scanreg and /restore. Then reboot your computer.

2. From a:> type "scandisk" and hit ENTER. Reboot.

3. From a:> type "sys c:" and click ENTER. If successful it will say system transferred. Reboot.

4. From a:> type "fdisk /mbr" and click ENTER. Reboot computer.

5. Delete temporary files. From a:> type "del c:\windows\temp*.*" and click ENTER. Reboot.

6. Delete the swap file. From a:> type "del c:\win386.swp" and click ENTER. Reboot.

7. If you have Windows ME, perform a System Restore from DOS. Otherwise skip this step.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];Q279736

8. Look at your bootlog.txt. From a:> type "c:\windows\bootlog.txt" and click ENTER
    If it does not work, then type "a: c:\bootlog.txt". You can look at the last thing listed in log and most likely it is the item that caused Windows not to load. If the file is in windows you can rename it to old from whatever its was before, i.e., exe, txt, dll, etc.

An example of renaming would be to rename windoz.dll to windoz.old you would use
    ren c:windows\windoz.dll c:\windows\windoz.old and click ENTER. Note the spaces.

9. As a next to last ditch way to open Windows if all else failed, on the C drive (where I am assuming Windows ME is installed) there should be a hidden file named system.cb. This is a "backup" system.ini that contains no third party drivers. Copy it to c:\windows and rename it to system.ini. Then see if you can boot up. If you can, you will have to install a bunch of drivers. Including video, sound, scanners, cameras, etc. But you should be able to boot to Windows.

To implement the above, From a:> type "c:" and click ENTER. Next type "cd\windows" and click ENTER. Next type "copy system.cb system.ini" and click ENTER. If it says there is already a file by that name and it will be over written. Click YES.

10. Finally, as a last ditch effort, reinstall windows over itself. Boot up with your Windows CD. If not bootable, boot to DOS with CD ROM support. While in DOS, put in your Windows CD. Type "setup" or "E:\setup" without the quotes and hit ENTER.

If you don't have the Windows CD, the system files may be in the CABS folder. From a:> type "c:\windows\options\cabs\setup" without the quotes and hit ENTER.

6. alligurl

alligurl Thread Starter

Okay... so... how do u know if youre in safe mode? what i mean is... if it looks exactly like it is when in safe mode... but does not have the "safe mode" written in each of the corners.. is it not in safe mode?? i can manually make my pc start in safe mode... then it looks exactly how it should with the 'safe mode" words written in the corner... but otherwise.. it regularly starts in what looks like sade mode, bc of the visual characteristics... just doesnt have the safe mode words in each of the corners... ??? im soooo confused on what to do. thanks a lot.. allison

7. brindle

brindle

I question if you are in safe mode! does it say safe mode in all four corners?
    If it does not say safe mode in all four corners you are not in safe mode................ go to system properties, display adapters and delete your graphic drivers......go to the manufacture of your vedio card D\L new drivers and install
    do you know what graphics card you have? If not D\L AIDA32

8. alligurl

alligurl Thread Starter

hey.. thank you so much.. i wasnt in safe mode at all... it just had the appearance of it... somehow.. my pc had reverted back to like 16 color or somethin all i had to do was change it to the higher color things... thanks a lot! i feel sooo much better!

9. natcom

natcom

well done guys we all learn something from this :)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/273146

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice