1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

how do I get rid of a null application tag?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Marc`, Apr 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Marc`

Marc` Thread Starter

Hi,

I run Win2K Pro SP4 / IE6 SP1, fully up-to-date with all updates.

I recently downloaded an app and installed it. It didn't work as I would have liked so I uninstalled it through the "Add / Remove Programs" window of the Control Panel.

The application's been removed but I find I'm left with something called "Web Savings from Ebates" in the Add / Remove window. I've run Ad-Aware and Spybot (both up to date) and removed the application itself. However, I'm still left with the app name in the Add / Remove Programs window and, despite trying to uninstall it individually, I can't because the application has been removed.

How do I get rid of the empty (null) tag in the Add / Remove Programs Window?

Thanks in advance,
    Marc

2. rude

rude

Make sure you backup the registry before editing.
    Select Start > Run

type "regedit",without quotes, and press Enter.

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

The Add/Remove Programs list is built from the keys listed beneath the Uninstall folder.

Locate the key for the program that has been uninstalled, right click the key and click Delete.

Be very careful. Once the key has been deleted it's impossible to use Add/Remove Programs to uninstall if you make an incorrect selection

3. Marc`

Marc` Thread Starter

Hi Rude,

It worked a charm. Thank you; I appreciate your help!

Marc

4. rude

rude

You're welcome,I'm glad it worked for you.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!