1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I get rid of flickering border on the bottom of Windows Media Player?

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Mulderator, Jan 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mulderator

Mulderator Thread Starter

When I play video in Windows Media Player, there is a 1 and 1/2 border at the bottom of the videos and it flickers. This doesn't occur if I play these videos with another program, only media player so there is some setting that is messed up. I've tried enlarging the picture to 200%, that just makes the picture bigger but the flickering border remains--see the pic attached--notice the lighter shade of black at the bottom of the pic--that's a border that flickers when video plays--its there in full screen mode as well.

Attached Files:

2. help4me

help4me

I'm not the wizard you are Mulder, as your reputation for brilliance precedes you.

Noticing the TV PG box on the image, the flickering box beneath your video could in fact be the "closed captioning" information. What you are seeing is the entire contents of the NTSC signal, including closed captioning data and possibly time code data, uncropped. However, that would not explain the absence of the flickering box in other players, unless they are smarter than wmp and discard or automatically crop that info. In WMP click Play > Captions and Subtitles > On, and see if that helps. Bear in mind that captions may not always be able to be displayed.

I could be wrong, and doing nothing more than wasting your time. Best of luck (y)

3. help4me

help4me

I forgot to actually answer the question : How to get rid of it....
    I don't know of a way to get rid of it. Mid-range video-editing software can sometimes let you crop it, but that would mean transcoding it again (with more loss of quality). And of course this may not be the issue at all.

4. Mulderator

You are not wasting my time, but I believe you are wrong! ;) I know well what the closed captioning line below a recorded signal looks like like and this isn't it--its much too large and doesn't look anything like that line. Also, if that were it, I would see it on other programs (and have seen it in those situations). Its something else and I can't friggin figure out what it is--annouyong the crap out of me.

5. Mulderator

No one's got an answer to this. Come on? I expect results! ;)

6. linskyjack

linskyjack

LOL---first tell us what the source media is----format etc.

7. help4me

help4me

Hey.....I had an answer......just not the right one :D

8. Mulderator

Doesn't matter--does it with any video from any source.

9. Space Cowboy

Space Cowboy

Try double clicking on the video when in full screen mode.

10. Mulderator

I'v clicked and double clicked all over that screen--right clicked, left clicked and changed every friggin setting I could find--nothing.

11. Space Cowboy

Space Cowboy

When I have a screen like the one you did a screenshot of I double click with the left button right in the middle of the video and I go full screen and the top and bottom bars auto hide and so does my cursor. As soon as I move the mouse the top and bottom bars reappear and if I double click I get the same thing you posted. Some video's even in full screen mode have a black border. You using Media Player 10? Might try reinstalling it? Here is my options setup.

Attached Files:

12. Mulderator

I don't think you are understanding--look at the picture closely--its not the black border around the picture--its a "flickering" border below the picture only. It is always there whether I go full screen or not or double click or single click. I realize the borders you are talking about but this is not the same.

In full screen mode all the borders are gone at the top, left, and right, but the border below the screen (the flickering) remains. I'll screen shot it when I get home--right now I am not at that computer, so I can't show you.

13. Space Cowboy

Space Cowboy

Ok .. I think I know what your talkin about now. Are these homemade video's or does it do it on all video's. I just checked out a bunch I have none of which I made and i don't have the issue. The only thing I can think of is it's your source or codec pak. I tried toggling the caption option and did not make any differance. I have a small video that works great on my system .. no distrortion at all. You should be recieving it soon to try out.

14. Mulderator

Okay--I'll try it tonight.

15. Mulderator

Ok SC--below is a screen shot of the video you sent me, which does not have the flicker border below, although as you can see, yours is in mpeg2 format and not compliant with DVD standards. Look at the one from above compared to yours. Keep in mind also this is only happening on my desktop computer--I can play the same videos on my laptop no problem--not border--in full screen, they take up the entire screen. It something unique about his computer (or the video card) that is causing this. I have an NVidea 6600GT by the way.

Attached Files:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/431025

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice