1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I get rid of HP Record Now?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by starchild, Nov 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

I've had HP Record Now in for almost a year, it came with my HP cd burner, and was simple to use. But now I have something better, that does more. I don't use the Record Now, so decided to take it out.

I've been going in circles!

Taking it out in Add/Remove programs, it starts to uninstall then says "put in disk one". I only have one cd that came with it, so put that in, (thinking it's required to uninstal) and it seems to install it.

I think I have it out, I've even deleted the actual file in PROGRAMS. But whenever I put the computer on, a box comes up saying the installation isn't complete and put in disk one. I click "cancel" and a larger error message comes up saying the installation wasn't complete and the reminder will come on next time I start the computer.

I'm not an expert at finding and removing/changing settings, but I have learned some. I RUN and MSCONFIG STARTUP and uncleck the HP setup box, apply, restart pc, etc.

The next time I put it on again, it starts all over and the box in MSCONFIG-STARUP is checked again.

If I don't cancel the setup, it asks for the disk again, and installs it all over again, and I go to add/remove programs (doesn't seem to be an uninstal anywhere else) and it starts all over. The uninstall asks for the disk before it continues and puts it in again.

I'm thinking reg key? But, don't want to mess with the reg, unless I have exact instructions.

Aside from this, and unrelated (the HP problem has been going on for about a week, and I've been hoping it would go away on it's own (LOL) I've been trying to find a free or shareware program to convert audio files. Just tried one called CD Master (zittware?) which promised a lot, but turned out to be terrible. Put an ad banner across the screen, and I had a hard time getting the program out. I'm wondering what it might have put in, I might not have gotten out? I've run Adaware with nothing new being found.

I've heard of Window Washer, which cleans up left over/unused files from downloads/installations (I think?) Also, various programs that check and detect files unneeded or unusual in the registry. I tried this one once but then didn't know what to take out or leave in.

Are these programs good to use? Or, will I risk messing up the reg and maybe needed files?

Just seems like my computer could use a little cleaning up and getting rid of what's not needed.

Along with whatever is keeping HP Record now going.

Thanks,

~ Carrie

2. Miz

Miz

Try re-installing Record Now. It may be that something necessary to uninstall it got corrupted somewhere along the line and a success reinstall will replace it...which will then let you uninstall it properly.

Hey, if it doesn't work, you've only wasted a little more time and you'll be no worse off. ;)

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    If you go to the software and updates site for your HP model, you'll find that HP RecordNow has been updated since you bought your computer.

I use both HP RecordNow 4.56 and Stomp RecordNow MAX 4.50.

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips (Also a Windows XP user)

4. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

I have tried reinstalling it (as it seems to want to do) and then uninstalling it again.

I've done that several times.

When I go to uninstall it, it says to put in "disk one" and when I do it seems to install it again (though I don't think it ever got totally out).

For some reason it thinks it's only partially installed, and keeps reminding me to install it again.

Of course, I can always click the boxes closed that come up when I power up the pc.

Or, just put it in and leave it in, like it seems to want.

~ Carrie

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!