1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How Do I Get Rid Of Nortons On My Pc

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by MUSKYMAN, Sep 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MUSKYMAN

MUSKYMAN Thread Starter

I Am New To Computing Or Old Maybe I Should Say,old Guy ! A Few Months Ago I Purchased A Nortons Anti Virus Program 2004 I Believe?had Trouble Installing And Took The Software Back And Recieved A Refund.was Told To Purchase Another Of Nortons Anti Virus Programs Which I Did And Could Not Install It Either,i Am Beyond Hope I Believe.
    Well Anyway I Was Then Encouraged To Get Dsl Which I Did And The Internet Explorer Seems To Work Fine And Is Fast.
    My Problem I Cannot Establish An E Mail Account On Verizon My Dsl Account.
    I Still Have My Old E-mail On Another Computer And Can Access It On The Dsl Account But Cannot Install My New E-mail?
    They Told Me That I Have A Nortons Firewall Stopping Me From Doing This?
    Evidently I Removed Nortons In The Wrong Order And Now It Says It Cannot Remove The Balance Of Nortons?
    Also Says I Am Not The Administrator?
    So I Am Paying Two Bills Just To Have A Fast Internet Explorer,cannot Use Pay-pal On Dsl?
    Can Send And Recieve On My Citynet E-mail?
    Wish Some Young ,bright Guy Would Help This Old Guy Get This Thing Working???????????
    I Have Called Nortons But Did Not Understand E Mail They Sent,tryed But Could Not Do It !
    Even Got A Restore Disk From Compac And Could Not Get It To Work?
    I Usually Am Up Late And My Phone Number Is 304-295-7648 Evenings.
    I Will Be Out Of Town 9-14 To 9-19
    Thanks,lee

2. Rache

Rache Banned

You need to go to Symantec site and get their removal tool to totally wipe Nortons.

3. TOGG

TOGG

You will need to be clear about which Symantec product you have installed, NAV on its own, Norton System Works or Norton Internet Security.

There are three removal tools Rnav, Rnis and SymClean which you can get from Symantec's site. See if anything in this Symantec article helps you work out what you need to do;http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...=2004 for Windows 2000/Me/98/XP&osv=&osv_lvl=

PS. If I were you I would edit out the phone number (unless a Moderator does it for you soon). There are enough double glazing and insurance salesmen with your number already, so why would you want to add to that total?

4. MUSKYMAN

MUSKYMAN Thread Starter

The Problem Is I Do Not Have The Nortons Software ,tried To Install To Different Norton 2004 Programs

It Says I Have To Have The Disk And I Returned Them Both

I Hate Nortons, They Don't Help Dummies At All

5. TOGG

TOGG

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. The removal tools provided by Symantec are not on their product CD's, you have to download them.

Which one you use depends on the software you installed, but you probably wouldn't do much harm if you tried them all, although the order in which you use them probably does make a difference. The fact that you had a firewall suggests that you installed NIS or NSW since NAV on its own does not have a firewall.

I'm afraid that if you don't know someone who can sit with you while you try this, you will have to read through Symantec articles, like the one I posted earlier, and this one;http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...56ee60055ac57&dtype=&prod=&ver=&osv=&osv_lvl= Note that the advice is to run the Rnav tool as many times as necessary after using SymClean. The articles should tell you where to d/l the various tools from. I suggest that you print them out and try following the various steps fairly slowly.

Post back with any questions and someone will try to help but you should also be getting another AV program and firewall before using this computer online for any longer than is necessary. See the Security Help Tools thread at the top of the Security Forum.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272664

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice