Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How do I get rid of Windows Admin sign-in screen?

Solved 
1K views 17 replies 4 participants last post by  bj nick 
#1 ·
Set up my new desktop, and it always boots up to an Admin screen that says "sign in," but there's no password; I just click on it and I'm in. How can I get rid of this unnecessary sign-in screen? I looked around online but the various options didn't seem to apply to me, and there were dire warnings that eliminating the admin account you lose all your data, etc., etc. I know this has to be much simpler. Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
This looks like the built-in Administrator account for the workstation which, by default, doesn't have a password. Do you have an alternative account set up on your PC? If so, I recommend setting a password and then deactivating it, just so it's not left open. To deactivate it, do the following:

Log into the account you have set up that's not the Administrator account. Left-click on the Windows Start button, type cmd, and then click on Run as administrator to open the Command Prompt.

Within the command prompt, type in net user admnistrator /active:no and then hit the Enter key. You can now close the command prompt.

#4 ·
If you're on the Administrator account, go into File Explorer and navigate to c:\users (presupposing your OS is set up using the default settings) and see which accounts are there. If you only see Administrator, Default and Public folders, you'll need to create an account.

In fact, I recommend setting up two accounts: one as a Standard User for daily use and another with Administrator privileges when you need to install software. This will mitigate against malware using your logged-in account using administrative privileges, although it's not 100% foolproof.

#5 ·
Just checked, yep, that's exactly what's there: under C: \ users it's admin, default, public. What's the simplest way to set up the other account you suggest. Of course I would follow your suggestion.

#7 ·
Okay, got it. But I'm confused by what they say here: "The best option in most cases, though, is for everyone who uses your PC to have a Microsoft account." Yet in the instructions, they then direct you to: "select Add a user without a Microsoft account." ??? I AM a "Microsoft user" right? I use Office 365, I use Google drive with added storage which includes tech support, etc.....can you clarify?

#8 ·
Well the aim of that linked page is to show you how to create an offline account. But MS couldn't help but add that it is preferable to use an MS account. They really really want people to use an MS account. But for some organizations, they don't want their employees to use an MS account for many reasons.

#10 ·
There are two ways to add such accounts. If you have an Outlook.com account, for example, you can add a user that way and it will tie in with 365. The same credential you use for your email will be used to authenticate to the PC. However, as @lunarlander pointed out, it's not always the way people choose. For example, I use offline accounts for my machines, so I don't have to have them tied in with MS accounts.

#11 ·
Okay, so I figured what the heck, created another account besides admin, now I get a choice of two and if I don't select admin, I find out I'm going to have to reset up my entire account for this new one. Not interested at all. All I want is to boot up and that's it. For my laptop which is occasionally in public and I do take it around, I'm password protected so every few minutes if I'm not using it I have to enter the password. For my desktop it's not necessary.

#14 ·
Thanks! Actually it isn't a password.....it's just a "sign-in" I have to click on.....two-second procedure I'm bellyaching about, but I'd really like to know how to JUST BOOT UP as I've done on my desktop for years and years.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.