1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I handle Textured Background Application?

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by Gabriel, Feb 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gabriel

Gabriel Account Closed Thread Starter

Hi, I am building a Website and am very new at all this....I downloaded an exe application to spice up my background called... browngranite.exe Application...that is 733 KB. ....it is on my desktop.....where do I save it to?....do I open it?....what happens when I do?.....how do I add it to my HTML.?.....I have never done this and am scared!!!

2. jd_957

jd_957 Banned

3. Gabriel

Hi jd957, I found the thumbnail info, and much of the other info I need there. But not the way to handle the exe.application. Is it considered an image? I am confused

4. jd_957

jd_957 Banned

i would save it in 'my documents folder.'

in the meantime i found this. it may contain more things to help you get started.

http://webdesign.about.com/

5. Gabriel

Yes jd, it does...it is a little ahead of what I need to know now, but I can use it when I know more......thank-you

6. driver2

driver2

The .exe extension indicates that it is an application (program), not just a picture, so depending on what type of program it is, the picture you are wishing to use may or may not be saved automatically into your temporary internet files. Try deleting all temp internet files then running it. The same may apply to C:/windows/temp. You also may be able to just right-click on the picture when the app is running then go to save picture as... Just be careful about using other peoples' images on a site, there are ways of encryping an I.D. into a picture.

When it comes to computers, don't live in fear, just do it and learn more from it!

7. Gabriel

Hi Driver2...thanks so much.......it was a free download from the person that created it.....they seem to be ok and legit and have been doing this for a long time.....it was on one of the learning links.....You seem to know something about this.....could I create my own background, like from a photo I take of grasses in the wind or colored sand? Could I use a photo of mine as a background?

8. driver2

driver2

Pretty much any picture can be a background in an HTML page, and there are several ways to insert a picture as a background, the most common being within the body tag <body background="/some_picture.gif"> By the sounds of it tho, you need to do a little more reading either on the net or from a book. Even the most basic html book I've ever picked up has this kind of information. The main thing to consider is the photo size...not the physical size, but how many kb's or megs it is. Pictures that are too large cause a website to load slowly and anyone with a slower connection or little patience will hit the back button before waiting to see the bottom half of your picture. Take the previous advice from jd 957 and check out those sites.

9. Gabriel

Yes driver, I will do that...I have an HTML book and so far have learned to use notepad (to do the html) and Explorer and an online host to access my photos.....also found background color codes, and font things and that is all...I only have the first page to where I want it minus links to go onto other pages....I will do 3 other pages tonight and I guess the links.....that is all I have done....I suppose it's getting ahead of myself to ask about the application backgrounds....i did experiment with my own photos since asking the question, and it was actually fun and funny as the little ones replicated themselves alot...and the larger ones seamed together funny....so I guess the size is super important and I have quite a way to go......thanks

10. jd_957

jd_957 Banned

11. Gabriel

Thanks...I'll go see if anyone at eBay has that one....I LOVE the dummie books

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326715

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice