1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I install a third party WMP Skin?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by KamikazeKM, Aug 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KamikazeKM

KamikazeKM Thread Starter

I downloaded a skin that came in a zipped file. I extracted everything and placed it in my C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\Skins directory. I went to View->Skin Chooser in WMP, selected my skin and hit apply. Nothing happened. When I apply default skin, WMP adopts the skin normaly. What am I doing wrong?

2. t bone

t bone

couple questions...

what version wmp?
    is it a wmp skin?

3. KamikazeKM

KamikazeKM Thread Starter

Hi, I found a few things out. If I get a skin from microsoft.com and install it from the site instead of downloading and moving to the skins\ dir, the skin will work. But if I try to download a skin from http://www.skinbase.org/section.php?sections=windowsmediaplayer
    I get it in zip form. Not a problem because I just rename to change it to a .wmz file. (The downloaded files from microsoft.com and skinbase.org have the same structure. To check just rename .wmz to zip and take a peek).

So my question now is how do I install them from my computer since not all sites allow installation from their website.

I'm using WMP 10
    And yes it is a skin. If I double click on the skin (when it has the ext .wmz) WMP comes up with the skin. Problem is when I close WMP and open it again, the skin is gone. The ones from the microsoft site stay if I close and open WMP. I hope that made some sense.
    And when I try the view->skin chooser->apply skin method, the skin will not apply. The skins that were installed from microsoft.com will apply but anything downloaded from skinbase.org will not. WMP will open skins from both websites if I double click on the <skinname>.wmz files but only the microsoft ones will stay applied after WMP is closed.

-Thanks

4. t bone

t bone

in wmp>view..if you have the "skin mode" checked it should open with that skin unless you switch to full mode before closing

you should be able to unzip it to a folder somewhere easy to find and then just move or copy it to c\program files\wmp\skins

you could even open up the wmp\skins folder and drag and drop it there if that's easier.

i just got one from that link, downloaded it to my desktop (it wasn't a zip file) then dragged and dropped to c\prog\wmp\skins just to make sure...it worked fine.
    then i removed it cause i don't like cluttering up my comp. with things i don't use

a side note...i always check a files like this for spyware and virus' before doing anything with em i never install direct from a site...just paranoid i guess.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/490707

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice