How do I install Secure WIFI in my Coffeehouse

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

szipb

I am opening a coffeehouse and want to supply free WIFI to my customers. I thought I could just use a wireless router and let them have fun, but I think that is not correct ....
My provider wants $80/mth for WIFI. That's a lot of coffee. How can I install WIFI less expensively and more securely. I'll be using the internet for business purposes also.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Hi and welcome.

Well, you can't get around the price that your ISP is going to charge.

szipb

I'm sorry , I wasn't clear. The Service provider offers their WIFI services at an additional $80/mth. I would just get the internet feed from them and do my own WIFI.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Ok, you're still confusing something here.

Do you currently have any internet service? I'm not sure what you mean by "their" wireless service.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Well, you can buy a broadband router that has bandwidth management (necessary to allow you to use your network in case of bandwidth hogs, then configure the encryption of your choice on the router.

If you want to avoid people getting the key and supplying the neighborhood with WiFi without getting any revenue, you'll probably have to change the key regularly. I'd just print up little cards that have the current encryption key on them and hand them to people when they order. That way you know you have a paying customer, at least for that visit. :)

You need to (legally, speaking) make sure that your ISP allows you to use the connection for a hotspot.

Other than that, what JohnWill said.

szipb

Thanks for your help..... I'll let you know if I run into problems

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
You need to (legally, speaking) make sure that your ISP allows you to use the connection for a hotspot.

Other than that, what JohnWill said.
I figured that for a commercial account it would be OK, but you have a good point, probably prudent to actually check. :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online