1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do i keep my connection?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by isuck, Sep 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. isuck

isuck Thread Starter

Im on a cable modem through a router, and id like to know if there is a way to keep my internet connection when i go into standby, because when i do go to standby, it just turns off. It is not wireless.

2. mtown_onsite

mtown_onsite

Yeah... Open device manager, select your nic from the list, goto the power managemnet tab. Uncheck the box for "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power", you may also want to check "allow this device to bring comp out of standby".

3. isuck

isuck Thread Starter

Well if i uncheck the first one, the others become uncheckable..

4. isuck

isuck Thread Starter

It didnt work what you said to do either. I unchecked the first, didnt work, i checked the first and the rest of em since i cant uncheck the first and check the others, didnt work. Keeps shutting down AIM and my internet.

5. isuck

isuck Thread Starter

????????????????

6. mtown_onsite

mtown_onsite

Hrm... Does your computer drop the net connection? Or does the router?
    Check the router's config... It may have a setting for connection type or something similar. If so, set it to "stay alive" or "always on"... instead of connect on demand.

7. Sephroth57

Sephroth57

you could just leave the comp on and turn off the monitor when youre not on it.. thats what i do. plus it always seems when u go into standby and come back a lot of your RAM is eaten up and it needs a restart if you wanna play any heavy graphics games

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!