1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

how do I kill a zombie process

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dale5351, Jan 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dale5351

dale5351 Thread Starter

I am working with folks in another thread on a problem with iexplore.exe locking up my XP computer, but thought that I would ask this question in a new thread to get wider exposure.

The symptom there is that iexplore.exe will sit at using 50% CPU of a two core computer. I try to kill that iexplore.exe process and it will not die. I've tried the "end process" from task manager, kill process from process explorer, and kill <PID #> from a command prompt. All of them say "process killed" or something like that -- but none of them actually stop the process. It just keeps on going, consuming my CPU (the brain), and eventually causing every thing to lock up and freeze -- until I push the power off button for a hard stop.

I'm open to any suggestions as to how to kill such a process -- it would allow me to free up the freeze without the ill effects of a hard stop.

2. valis

valis Moderator

All well and good except for one thing; it can get extremely difficult for us fixing the issue if there are multiple threads running on that problem, as we have no clue what has and has not been tried.

As such, I'm going to close this thread up. Please respond at your original thread at http://forums.techguy.org/windows-xp/1085829-iexplore-freezes-computer.html.

thanks,

v

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086572

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice