1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I kill OneDrive and start over again?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cuttlefish, Aug 15, 2019.

1. cuttlefish

cuttlefish Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ian
    Through nobody's fault but my own, I have completely botched up how One Drive operates!

Between it, my Win10 PC, iPhoneMax and iPad4, I don't have the vaguest idea how to get everything talking to each other again - as it used t0 before I started meddling!

I just want to erase every doc/photo/or whatever from OneDrive and then have it back up MY SELECTED FOLDERS from my PC and Apple devices being predominately My Docs, Pictures, Videos etc.

I'm OK with iCloud Drive and all its devices but OneDrive has me lost!

In fact, I just purchased a new 2 TB Seagate external HDD that has a brilliant backup system in it and I would be more than happy to say goodbye to OneDrive forever but whenever I start deleting folders from it, I get hammered with messages rabbiting on about it not being configured properly, not updated etc.

I did the "unlink" thingo but it still seems to want to carry on in the background .........? At least with my external HDD I kind of know where everything is and not floating about in the "clouds!"

The only downer by severing my friendship with OneDrive is that is I can't connect my new HDD to either my devices although I guess Dropbox would probably work, I'm off on a 4 week world trip in a couple of weeks and most of my itinerary is stored on MS Excel and Word so Onedrive would be kind of handy for dragging that info up on my devices .........

Apologies for muddying the waters with the above explanations! Confusion reigns supreme this end!

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Ok. So this is how this works. You give us an error message or error code. And tell us what you did to get that error message. Then we figure out why it got there and recommend a fix.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Just my personal opinion however I do not trust anyone or anything to hold a backup except me. ALL of my backups are done on two internal drives, a third backup on a NAS, and a final backup on an external that sits in my gun safe.
    While I am not against someone using onedrive or other cloud based server, I would not put too much trust in any backup I do not control.
    One of the very first things I do when doing a windows install is to disable onedrive. For Pro and Enterprise, this is done using group policy edit; for home [I think] it is done via a registry hack.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!