1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I kill Windows startup/closing sound?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by shebe, Jan 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shebe

shebe Thread Starter

Good Day,

I'm hoping someone can tell me how to disable the music/whatever windowsXP makes when it loads or closes. My one computer has never "played" it, an I'd like to say the same for my new laptop.

So, if it's possible would someone let me know! It's really is like nails-on-a-chalkboard too me.

I'd be ever-so grateful.

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Find Sounds and Audio Devices in Control Panel, then click the Sounds tab. At the bottom of the window under Program Events highlight "Start Windows" then in the dropdown menu choose [None], then click Apply. Repeat for "Exit Windows", "Windows Logoff", and "Windows Logon". Better yet, turn them all off. :D

3. jaleo

jaleo

The best way is :
    Run regedit.exe
    Locate HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Sound
    Change Beep to "No".

4. jdl

jdl

NEVER mess in regedit unless you fully back up the registry and know what you are doing. Since we don't know the experience of the original poster, shebe, this may NOT be the "best way" to solve the problem.

Welcome to the forums, jaleo, but be careful of the advise you give.

5. jaleo

jaleo

Thanks for your advice.

6. shebe

shebe Thread Starter

Here's a big "hug" for the assist. I really appreciate it. BTW - If you really do want to turn off all the sounds, which is _great_ for me. All you have to do is click on "sound scheme" and choose "No Sounds."

I thank you and so do my hair follicles!!!!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539898

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice