1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I know if I need to update my graphics drivers?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by computersarecool, Jan 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. computersarecool

computersarecool Thread Starter

My computer has been through windows update, (100s of updates to install, as computer was sitting around for a while), but I am not sure if the graphics card drivers and the other drivers were updated.

2. TOGG

TOGG

I think most people would agree that (1) if you want to upgrade hardware, you should go to the website of the firm that made the component and (2) if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

There are various tools available online that claim to automate the whole process but I would be wary of those myself. If you have a program like Speccy;http://www.piriform.com/speccy you can find out what versions of sound and graphics cards etc. you currently have and then check the makers websites to see if there are later drivers available (if you're sure you really need them).

3. computersarecool

computersarecool Thread Starter

I do not even know if they are outdated, how do I find out? I do not even know what graphics card that computer has.

4. TOGG

TOGG

I have no personal experience of updating hardware so I only know what I have read elsewhere.

I can only think of two major reasons for updating graphics or sound cards, the first would be because of performance problems (which, I assume, would be obvious to the computer user) and the second would be to make them compatible with newer OS's like Windows 7 & 8 or capable of handling new technical developments like 3D or surround sound etc. As you have an old OS (like me) you are unlikely to see much benefit from installing the very latest drivers that are available if your system can't actually use the ' new, improved' features.

You can find out what hardware you have by using a program like Speccy, which I mentioned in my first post, or the even more detailed SIW;http://www.gtopala.com/

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085132

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice