1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I know if my HD is about to poop out

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by louisj23, Oct 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. louisj23

louisj23 Thread Starter

here's the symptoms.
    Just built this new comp about 2 weeks ago and it should be screaming fast...
    ASUS M2A-VM
    AMD FX-62
    2GB DDR2 800mHz
    Ultra 550w modular P/S

Now for some reason my programs take a while and struggle to load and uses about 50% CPU while loading. It seems like there is too much CPU usage when I'm running programs as well, like Super Anti-Spyware uses about 30%. My internet connection was incredible through a router in my house a few days ago but has dropped from excellent to good and pages take a while to load. So yeah, everything has just slowed way down, everything.
    I have run AVG Anti Virus, Super Anti Spyware, and RegCure. Defraged and ran a scan disk and nothing helped yet. Can't run spybot cause I had to re-install it and since my connection is so bad I can't connect to them.
    I ran a hi-jack this and posted on that forum yesterday and still waiting. What freeware can I run or how can I do a diagnostic on my Seagate SATA HD to make sure it's not about to crap out? or does it sound like more like a virus/spyware?

2. jazz3000

jazz3000

You haven't shared what type of OS you're running in the machine. With the new machine have you updated everything? Are you running a firewall you forgot to tell to allow certain applications through. Have you cleaned out your Temps from on line. Have you opened the Active X controls and created your security settings in your browser?
    Have you installed new APPLICATIONS recently? Have you reset the router? There are numerous things that can slow a system down, having nothing to do with HD or Viruses. Let us know what OS you're running...Jazz

3. louisj23

louisj23 Thread Starter

Sorry, knew I was forgetting something
    Windows XP Pro SP2
    The only applications I have installed recently are Registry Mechanic and Super Anti-Spyware and AVG anti-virus and a few minor ones like Skype, Nero, Adobe Reader, iTunes, stuff like that.
    Active X Controls are set and security is set to medium with default settings.
    I reset the router a couple of days ago but as I said, all programs are loading slowly and pushing my CPU usage higher than I think it should be.
    Temp files are gone.

4. jazz3000

jazz3000

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/
    Well you can try this - It's a pretty good little program for being free. So far as your HD goes I'm sure you've read it will slow down a system if bad, it will also make a great deal of noise as it goes bad, but then memory can cause issues. Conflicts in hardware can cause issues. One of the biggest issues I've run into is failing to validate the OS with Microsoft so the standard updates aren't issued. These are my only thoughts at the moment but if I think of something I'll be back. Let us know...Jazz

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

Have you run Registry Mechanic? Before or after these problems started?

6. louisj23

louisj23 Thread Starter

hmmm, that's a good question. I think it was after but I'm doing it again right now and I did do backups and tried those with nothing different.
    It didn't find any errors on that run
    Reset my router too and modem and no real big changes on opening programs. For example I just opened RegCure and my CPU usage went from 6% to 21% to 49% to 99% and then back down in about the same order over a period of a few seconds. That seems kinda high doesn't it?
    I might just do a fresh install cause I'm getting sick of this

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

I have never seen a reg cleaner fix anything, but I have certainly seen it destroy an OS many times. An XP Repair would mostly rebuild a "mangled" registry, but not altogether.
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
    I would ditch the Registry Mechanic and reinstall myself.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/643290

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice