1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved How do I know what to upgrade out of CPU, GPU or RAM

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GreenPepper2, Oct 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GreenPepper2

GreenPepper2 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Pieter
    I want my computer to be faster. So I want to buy new hardware. But I don't know what to upgrade. I have a Core i7 CPU, I'm not sure what GPU and 8GB RAM. I want to edit videos with Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro.
    What should I buy. What is the thing that's slowing me down??

Here are specs:
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 8146 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 710, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 1863 GB (1626 GB Free); G: 931 GB (144 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 051FJ8
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

2. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    Most likely your gpu in this case. Your i7 is old but it’s more than sufficient for what you’re wanting to do.

What you’re wanting to do requires VRAM which you have a mere 1GB of.

You may want to upgrade your system ram from 8 to 16GB as well.

I’d recommend a cpu with around 4-8GB of VRAM.

GreenPepper2 likes this.
  3. GreenPepper2

First Name:
    Pieter
    Ok.. I have 2 out of 4 spaces for RAM? Can I just buy more, and plug it in to the two open slots? Does it work that way?
    How do I get more VRAM? A whole new processor? Or.. a new GPU?

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    According to your log, you have a Dell OptiPlex 9010 (unknown case size).
    What is the exact 7-character "service tag" number on that Dell?

Also according to your log, that Dell has these hardware specs:
    Intel Core i7-3770 3.40 GHz quad core processor (has an integrated Intel HD Graphics 4000 graphics device)
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 710 graphics card

I would add another 8 GB of RAM and run that Dell with 16 GB.
    I would also upgrade to a better performing low power graphics card which has more dedicated video memory.

---------------------------------------------------------------

metallica5456 likes this.
  5. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    Frank is correct. You should max out the ram and upgrade your graphics card to get more vram

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Capture.JPG

You haven't said which case size your Dell OptiPlex 9010 is, but as you can see from its specifications section, they all have a low wattage power supply.

That means you will need to upgrade to a better performing "low power" graphics card and/or you will need to upgrade to a higher wattage power supply.

7. KillTheAlarm

KillTheAlarm

Definitely upgrade GPU (as others pointed out). Also, though you didn't ask about it, I would suggest upgrading you hard drives (I'm assuming they're HDD's)

For general faster/snappier usage experience (on any app), upgrading to a SSD drive can make a huge difference, especially if your current drives are old or low-spec (going on ~5000 rpm or lower).

And you can buy one as cheap as 30$ for 240GB of storage, on amazon (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-SA400S37-240G-Solid-State/dp/B01N5IB20Q?th=1)

In your case, I would either
    • If budget IS important - buy an 240 GB (or smaller) SSD and install windows on it; I would keep most used projects/files/apps as well, while keeping/storing large or rarely used things on your current drives you have
    • If budget is NOT important - buy as big SSD as you want (or several) and ditch your old HDD's

8. GreenPepper2

First Name:
    Pieter
    Thanks to everyone helping me so far.
    My Dell service tag: 7GLDD5J
    I want to know IF I get a small SSD run windows on.. Does that only make opening an App faster, not the App itself?
    About the Power Usage thingy. How do I know what power usage I have now? And what the power is of the GPU I want to buy...?
    Can anyone recommend a GPU to upgrade to?

9. Blu_86

Blu_86

For value, without breaking the bank, and without too much bottleneck for what you're wanting to do, and this DOES depend on your power supply because … to get a good video editing / CAD / station it is true you need a good GPU with some VRAM but your power supply also has to be sufficient enough to handle it. If you are using the Dell supplied power supply which I bet you are.

As Flavallee eluded to you could have any of these models and they differ -- your service tag doesn't specify which one of these you have they are all 9010 models. You can see there are more than a few models mATX, SFF, ITX etc.

[​IMG]
    Please advise which one you have because that will determine the power supply you're working with and the GPU you can upgrade to.

10. GreenPepper2

First Name:
    Pieter
    [​IMG]
    I have the second one from the left — the thin middle one.
    And how do I upgrade power supply if I need to... must I get a whole new box?

11. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

One needs to remember that upgrading hardware on these OEM retail PC's (Dell, HP ect.) is; these systems are proprietary and use specifically designed hardware for these particular models and use specific drivers. Then the proprietary PSU that use their specialized connectors and low wattage. Therefore the options to upgrade hardware is limited.

The basic hardware upgrades for these are:
    1: RAM
    2: hard drive

To upgrade the CPU or GPU can be done if some requirements can be met. That list is way to long to go in to on here.

Then one needs to decide the cost/effectivness is worth doing such upgrades versus buying or building a new PC.

12. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    According to that service tag number, you have THIS Dell OptiPlex 9010 Small Form Factor.
    According to its warranty and system information sections, it was purchased in July 2012 and came with Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit
    It appears to have its original Intel Core i7-3770 processor and 8 GB of DDR3-1600 RAM and 240W power supply.
    It appears to have had a NVIDIA GeForce GT 710 graphics card and a 2 TB(1862 GB) hard drive installed in it.

13. Blu_86

Blu_86

Well in Dell's case non proprietary PSU upgradability has been a non issue for Inspiron - OptiPlex models (regular form factor) as well as XPS since about 2013. I know I have upgraded quite a few of them. Smaller form factors can be upgraded but it's trickier dealing with very small power supplies. In fact I have upgraded several OptiPlex 9010's /Inspiron 34** series with GPUs, PSU's, SSDs. It's cake in most cases (no pun intended).

If you have the thin model, usually the ones used in businesses it comes with a very small PSU not really upgradable to a mid-high end GPU with a lot of memory. You could use a GTX 1050/1050ti (both 4GB) or GTX 1650 4GB but that's about it and I would hesitate in using a GTX 1650 for sure.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
  14. GreenPepper2

First Name:
    Pieter
    So my options are:
    • Get more RAM, to have 16GB in total.
    • Get a better GPU, but make sure all the specifications will work with my PC.
    • Buy or build a whole new PC.
    Will it work if I: Get a bigger box and put all the things I have now in it... Like the motherboard, GPU, CPU(And buy a better one), RAM. Will that change anything. Will it be better?

15. Blu_86

Blu_86

Yes it would work if you feel you can do that (or want to). It would be better yes for airflow, and the ability to mount the board you have now plus other boards in the future that are regular size not to mention being able to use a standard size power supply which would then also enable you to use (this is key) a standard size GPU. I'll let others chime in about the value of doing such vs. the cost, weighed against saving for a new system.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1233965

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice