1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I know what to upgrade/repair on laptop for game to function well?

Discussion in 'Games' started by beckri, Jan 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beckri

beckri Thread Starter

My son recently bought himself Skyrim for his HP Probook4525a laptop (which he also bought himself, so it's not top of the line). He said that it doesn't play well, glitches or freezes. He has tried reinstalling it a couple of times.

I see that it requires 2gb ram, but his laptop shows 1.8gb. So I assumed that means I should add ram. My brother told me he needs a new hard drive or video card. How the heck do you know what to add or change?

I tried scanning at crucial.com but after I open the download nothing happens. No results, nothing.

2. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

using the laptop in question go here; http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri
    select Skyrim from the games menu and run a test. It will point out the areas that fall short. (with the java problems of late, you may want to download and install the test scanner if you have Java disabled)

also, the 1.8 gigs shown does mean 2 gigs. just the way computers read the bits and stuff. Also might not be showing the chunk of Ram it took for video memory. (All depends on what is in the system specs.)
    More ram would help, but for heavy 3D games usually a graphics card is the best option.

Think TSG has a system analyzer, might want to run that on the laptop so we can see what is in it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!