1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I know which HP updates to install on my laptop

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by The Keeper, Sep 11, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. The Keeper

The Keeper Thread Starter

First Name:
    Gary
    My HP Pavilion laptop came installed with an HP Support Assistant program which, among with other things, shows software/driver updates when they become available. For example:

ELAN Touchpad Driver
    Intel Bluetooth Driver
    Intel-High Definition (HD) Graphics Driver
    Intel Management Engine Interface (MEI) Driver
    and others.

On a rare occasion, a successful download and install will occur, but most of the time after an attempted download/install I will receive a message: "This software (or driver) not compatible with this device"

If I login to HP's website and conduct a search for software/drivers, I will receive the same list (currently 9) and attempting a download/install, the same thing occurs. If I click on the question mark (?) that appears by each download item sometimes a driver download will state that the previous package must be uninstalled before this new package will function correctly.
    • How do I know which software/drivers to attempt an install without downloading and trying to install each one only to be told the download is not compatible.
    • How would I uninstall a previous driver before installing and running the current update?
    This is mind boggling and frustrating. Do I just forget about the HP Updates?

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 142 Stepping 11
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 16271 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 930 GB (870 GB Free);
    Motherboard: HP, 84C1
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You appear to have a HP Pavilion 15-cs series laptop, but it's unknown which model you have.
    What's the exact product number(P/N) and serial number(S/N) on yours?

A brand new factory-brand laptop usually comes with a lot of useless apps and bloatware, so it can be mind-boggling and frustrating for a computer novice.
    Windows 10 is usually pretty good about installing device drivers and keeping them up-to-date, so don't fret over it.

---------------------------------------------------------------

3. The Keeper

First Name:
    Gary
    Product number: 6MZ82UA#ABA

Thanks so much for replying to my query on HP software downloads. My computer has Windows 10 version 1809 and is configured to automatically download and install Windows updates. As a result, I seldom check for updates, however I just happened to check and noticed there was an update available for Window 10, Version 1903. I downloaded/installed that update (which took about 6 hours on my up to 40 mps internet connection) and after doing so, downloaded/installed the HP updates. I suppose that is why they didn't install originally, because they were designed for a newer version of Windows.

Again I appreciate you prompt reply and your willingness to assist me with the problem.

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    According to that product number, you have a HP Pavilion 15-cs2073cl Notebook PC which came with Windows 10 Home 64-bit.

You were fortunate that the bi-annual upgrade from Version 1809 to Version 1903 went okay and didn't fail or didn't cause any issues afterwards.

Your 40 Mbps connection is a lot slower than my 400 Mbps connection, so I can understand why it took you about 6 hours to complete the upgrade.

----------------------------------------------------------------

5. The Keeper

First Name:
    Gary
    I apologize for prolonging this conversation but will appreciate your thoughts. I had misgivings about updating to the newest version of Windows but since I try to keep my devices updated I bit the bullet and installed the update. What are your thoughts on installing these new version Windows updates and are they necessary in your opinion? I realize others may disagree with your opinion since it's probably like which is better, Chevrolet or Ford but will still appreciate your thoughts. After this, I will not trouble your further.

This is something new for me since I have been using Windows 7 since 2010 and just recently purchased my new notebook. To my best knowledge, I never experienced having to update new versions of Windows 7 unless it was done automatically.

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I have 5 full-time computers, so if something goes wrong with one of them, it's only a temporary setback for me.
    I'm also very experienced in doing a clean install of Windows 7 and Windows 10, so it takes me only a few hours to completely re-do a computer.
    I also set up my computers to where I have complete control over which updates get installed and when they get installed.

---------------------------------------------------------------

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1232826

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice