1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I log onto my computer as Administrator?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by airforceone, Sep 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. airforceone

airforceone Thread Starter

I understand how to set accounts, i.e., limited or administrator (in the Control Panel). But I want to long on as Administrator. The reason I say this is because my system crashed yesterday and I was able to save practically everything but I had to reinstall the OS/XP Pro and now I have two accounts with my name. For example I share my computer with my 3 children and my wife. We each have an account like this: #1 Dad, #2 Wife, #3 Son, etc. The reason for the numbers is to keep them in order. Now I have two #1 Dad accounts under Documents and Settings. There are a lot of files under the old #1 Dad Docs/Settings folder I want but am unable to get to. I am also unable to install stuff, like the new Direct X. When I tried, I got this error message: "error creating process <c:docume~1\Dad~1\USP\LOCALS~1\Temp\IXP000.TMP\dxwsetup.exe>. Reason: The system cannot find the path specified.

2. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

ALT CTRL DEL twice

3. airforceone

Do you mean at the Log On screen? I tried that already but it didn't work.

4. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

If you type Ctrl Alt Del twice, it will bring you to the classic login screen. You then need to type in the Administrator username and password.

5. airforceone

But I did that and it didn't work. That worked before when I tried it on my son's computer that runs XP Home but for some reason, it won't work on my computer (XP Pro). Weird! Not sure why it won't work. Actually I tried it more than twice.

Thanks for the suggestions tho - immensely!

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

You need to press just the Delete key twice.

Also, if you want the administrator account to show up on the normal login screen with the rest of the names:

Start Regedit
    Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows NT \ CurrentVersion \ Winlogon \ SpecialAccounts \ UserList
    Add a DWORD with the name of the user account you want to hide or unhide
    Make sure it has a value of 0
    If there is an existing account, you can unhide it by giving it a value of 1

http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm#hiding_logon

7. airforceone

Thanks Bob. It still didn't work with the del or the ctr-alt-del, so I went back and gave that DWORD a value of "1" and then administrator showed up. So I then went into the administrator's account and tried to access the folder I mention in my first posting above, under Documents and Settings but I still got the, "C:\Documents and Settings\#1 Dad is not accessible. Access is denied." message. I thought if I were logged in as Administrator, I'd be able to access ANY folder on the hard drives. Oh well, I'll just have to reconstruct a few docs.

Thanks a lot to all that answered.

V/r

AF1

8. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

The actual keystroke would be more like Ctrl-Alt-Del the Del again. But it sounds like you got past that anyway with the regedit.

Can you boot to safe mode and take ownership of the files in that directory?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!