1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

how do i make a disk

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by brabra70, Sep 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. brabra70

brabra70 Thread Starter

remember i said the cmos got flashed and there was no back up.. well how do i make 1 anyway...
    thankyou barbara

2. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

What kind of disk?

3. brabra70

brabra70 Thread Starter

If i was gonna flash my computer what kind how do i make a disk to do that???
    thankyou
    Barbara

4. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

Do you mean flash the BIOS _ Why would you want to do that if you have no idea about any of it.

You need to be more descriptive of what you want.

5. brabra70

brabra70 Thread Starter

ok ive already done it well i didnt but a friend did and i was just thinking maybe if i make a disk off of this computer since there both running the same os and stuff it might work I dont know im just trying anything befor i throw it in the trash...lol thankyou
    barbara

6. zmaster

zmaster

No no no. Just because your friend flashed their bios doesn't mean you can use the same file to flash yours, its not that simple and it more then likely won't work. What are you main reasons for wanting to flash your bios in the first place anyway? What is actually wrong with your pc to make you want to throw it in the trash?

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It's a bad idea to upgrade your BIOS without a good reason. It's even a worse idea to attempt an upgrade when you don't understand the process! A mistake here, and you have a doorstop instead of a computer. :rolleyes:

8. brabra70

brabra70 Thread Starter

no, I'm sorry... I dont want to flash my bios my friend already did I just thought that maybe if i made a disk to flash it that it might work on his computer...I'm not gonna flash mine then i would have no computer... I'm sorry maybe I should have explained myself better... I just wanted to know the process to do a bios flash is all... thankyou..
    Barbara

9. brabra70

brabra70 Thread Starter

My friend didnt use a file to flash his he just flipped 2 switches on the motherboard Number 5&6 on then off and it cleared cmos and password....
    Thankyou
    Barbara

10. uolamer

uolamer

what i would say normally.. lol.. this thread needs to be on some.. ah nm.

#1 its obvious you should not flash your bios yourself
    #2 your friend didnt 'upgrade' your bios if he just flipped a few switches, he probably reset the settings in it, password, etc.

if someone was to flash their bios you usually go to your motherboard manufacture (or i guess if you bought some pre-made thing then you go to their site), you usually end up with some file that is the bios, a flash program usually awd_flash or something like that and you put it on a dos or win98/95 type boot floppy that you can make from bootdisk.com.. i think most people know all this though..

and no i am not the best english student.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/273051

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice