How do I make a partition bigger?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Obinice

I have a 300GB HDD with a 20GB partition for Windows, and another partition for the rest of the drive.

I wish to make the Windows partition say, 10GB larger (and thus the other one 10GB smaller), without having to reformat the whole thing. Is that possible? And if so, how do I do it?

Obinice

I have Partition Magic as it happens, not used it before though. Will it be obvious how to do it in there, or will you have to tell me how? If so...lol, tell me how please :)

after you install PMagic it will prompt you to make 2 diskettes. After you make them you must reboot your PC and boot form the disks you made. Inside there you'll see your partitions. It's recommended that your second partition is free so these 10GB won't cause lost of data, however there is not guarantee that everything will be ok afterwards. Partition magic can work in Win environment either but it's better when started from the disks I think.

Word of warning, backup your important data, the one time I tried using partition software I lost eveything.
I know lots of people on the forum use them without any problems, personally i just don't trust them.

Obinice

I don't think it matters, when you schedule stuff to be done in Partition magic, it does it the next time you boot up before windows loads. At least I think so.

I see how I can right click a partition and resize it. Should I then, tell it to make the windows partition 10GB larger, and the other one 10GB smaller, then reboot and let it do that?

I won't loose what's on those partitions, will I? That's quite important.

Obinice said:
I don't think it matters, when you schedule stuff to be done in Partition magic, it does it the next time you boot up before windows loads. At least I think so.

I see how I can right click a partition and resize it. Should I then, tell it to make the windows partition 10GB larger, and the other one 10GB smaller, then reboot and let it do that?

I won't loose what's on those partitions, will I? That's quite important.
I've resized partitions many times and never lost any data--Occasionally I had to reinstall a program, but that's it. If you only have two partitions, you will not have to tell PM to make the other partition smaller--it will do that automatically when you make the first one bigger (i.e., it has no choice). The only time you have to tell it which partition to make smaller is if you have more than two because of course it does not know which one you want to make smaller (or both) from the other partitions.

I do agree though on backing up your important data first (I never did though, but I'm a risk taker! :D ). The chances are 99.9% that nothing goes wrong, but if something does, then you may lose data.

gamina said:
after you install PMagic it will prompt you to make 2 diskettes. After you make them you must reboot your PC and boot form the disks you made. Inside there you'll see your partitions. It's recommended that your second partition is free so these 10GB won't cause lost of data, however there is not guarantee that everything will be ok afterwards. Partition magic can work in Win environment either but it's better when started from the disks I think.
I've never had to boot from discs? :confused: All you have to do is make the changes while in the program in Windows, and then reboot and PM takes over at that point before Windows boots and then makes all the changes. After it finishes, it boots into Windows with the changes done.

bigbear said:
Word of warning, backup your important data, the one time I tried using partition software I lost eveything.
I know lots of people on the forum use them without any problems, personally i just don't trust them.
Possible--but as I said I have been using PM for years and never had a problem. Although you make a good recommendation--better safe than sorry.

Obinice

When I click on apply it says "There is no active partition. Are you sure you want to apply changes?" What does this mean?

As far as I can tell PM will make one partition smaller, and the other bigger, but...what does the above mean...

Obinice said:
When I click on apply it says "There is no active partition. Are you sure you want to apply changes?" What does this mean?

As far as I can tell PM will make one partition smaller, and the other bigger, but...what does the above mean...
Just go ahead and apply the changes. Again, though, I would make sure you have critical information backed up.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online