1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

how do I make a photograph file smaller?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by tequilaslamma, Dec 4, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tequilaslamma

tequilaslamma Thread Starter

I have a photograph that I have scanned and saved as a gif file but it is too big to post on a website. I have tried lots of things to make the file smaller but I am obviously not doing something right. The photo is only black and white. I have quite a basic graphics programme which is a micrografx picture publisher, any help with this would be much appreciated. Thanks.

2. angel

angel

I'm not familiar with that program but if you would like, download <a href="http://www.irfanview.com/english.htm">Irfranview</a> (FREE). Once installed, just open the pic, go to Image>Resize/Resample, set the new size and then save it.

3. tequilaslamma

thanks Angel and if this works then you really are an angel. I'm off to try it now.....fingers crossed.

4. pedroguy

pedroguy

Hi:I have a Umax scanner so I don't know if this will help,but what I do is ave the scan as a Jpeg(JPG) image.My scanner setup allows me to pick the format in which I want to save.Also,try scanning at alower resolution(75-125 DPI)
    These two things might help reduce the size.

5. tequilaslamma

thanks for your reply. I tried downloading that file Angel , but no joy.

I tried scanning at a lower resolution and I still couldn't get it small enough. I eventually saved it as a JPEG and got taken to a different screen and then I moved a slider to a smaller percentage and saw that the file size got smaller,so I squeezed it as small as I could get it and BINGO it worked. Posted it onto the website and then clicked on it to view it fullsize and it was much bigger than the original photo???????? strange.....I'm not very technical.

Thanks again for your response.

6. padutch

padutch

micrografx picture publisher is a dandy program. Open the gif in it, on the top where file , edit and view are located and go over to image is written and click on it. The first thing in the list should be size, click on and go to work.
    DUTCH

7. tequilaslamma

Thanks, I have got a feeling that your advice is actually what I did or something similar. I think that I need a lot more practice.:)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60687

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice