1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I make an XP boot disc w/cd rom support?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by St!nkf!nger, Oct 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. St!nkf!nger

St!nkf!nger Thread Starter

I right clicked on my A: drive and made a boot disc that way, but when the pc boots from it I can't figure out how to access my cd drive. I want to wipe my drive clean and re-install XP by running the setup program from the dos prompt but can't figure out how to access the cd rom. What do I need to do?

2. Lance1

Lance1

You don’t need to create boot floppies, just boot from the CD and you’ll be able to do it all from there.

Lance.

3. St!nkf!nger

St!nkf!nger Thread Starter

Actually it didn't make a boot disc, it just loads up to a DOS prompt instead of going to windows. How do I enable cdrom support from that dos prompt?

4. Miz

Miz

Like Lance1 said...the XP CD will do it all...repartition/reformat/reinstall, whatever it is you want to do.

Trying to do it from XP's version of "DOS" is a lot more trouble than it's worth but if you are determined....

Go to www.bootdisk.com and download the file which will make XP boot floppies. It will require 6 clean, formatted floppies. Boot with those, feeding them in as prompted.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/173065

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice